Honored Contributor

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SERIES?

[ Edited ]

I'm a mystery fan (not the gory ones) and read every night.  I'm looking for something different.

I've been reading a few unrelated books right now, but I really like series.  I really find the character development as interesting as the crimes and cases.   

It doesn't have to be mysteries, per se .... but what series have you particularly enjoyed?

TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SERIES?

Been an Agatha Christie fan since the 1970s. I've read every one of her murder mysteries multiple times. Even though I know who "did" it, the books are so fun to read that knowing the ending doesn't bother me. I've also read many many of John Sandford's thrillers- the Prey series and his Virgil Flowers series 

Harmonize the World
Frequent Contributor

Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache mysteries  They are more than mysteries and if you haven't read them, you need to try one (in order, of course Smiley Happy).  I've read them over and over, and would love to live in Three Pines and be friends with the characters there!  

Respected Contributor

A series that someone recommended to me years ago was by Owen Parry. They were at my library.

Publication Order of Abel Jones Books
Faded Coat of Blue (1999) 
Shadows of Glory (2000) 
Call Each River Jordan (2001) 
Honor's Kingdom (2002) 
Bold Sons of Erin (2003) 
Rebels of Babylon (2005)

Respected Contributor

Josie Quinn series by Lisa Regan

Dr. Alex Delaware by Jonathan Kellerman

Joseph O'Loughlin series by Michael Roboham

Frieda Klein series by Nikki French

Clare MacKay series by Marion Todd

Jessica Shaw. series by Lisa Gray

Jonathan Stride series by Brian Freeman

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. It does have a bit of gore to it, but is also very funny.There are around 28 books in the series and I never did read them all. I think I got to around # 22 or 23.

Trusted Contributor

Patricia Cornwell...Scarpetta Series

Honored Contributor

I am currently in the midst of the Lady Bug Farm books.  There are 6 and I am on the 4th.  I just can't put them down!  These are about three women who are very close friends and are in their late 40's and need a change, so they find this very beautiful but run-down country home and off it goes...... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with one of the posters.  The Louis Penny series are the best.  The mystery does not end with each book, it continues in the following books.  It is intelligent, heartfelt, and unexpected.

Super Contributor

I enjoyed the PBS series VERA and am now reading the books by Ann Cleeves that have not been dramatized.  I also started her SHETLAND series which were also dramatized years ago but I was not aware of them at the time. Patricia Wentworth did a series years ago with Miss Silver who is similar to Agatha Christie's Miss Marple.  Anne Hillerman continues with books in the Navajo series begun by her father Tony Hillerman. Ann Purser is another British author with many books that I enjoyed.  So many books, so little time. Enjoy.