Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ SEPTEMBER 2018

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Close enough to Touch by Colleen OAKLEY, I really enjoyed this book, and wanted to thank the person who highlighted this book for us not to long ago, the author used just enough humor in her writing, that it did not take away from the seriousness of the story, but for me IMO endeared the characters even more so, at the back of the book they listed a few pages of her next book titled Before I Go I put in a request for it at the library, as it sounds really good from the few pages they gave a glimpse into it.

Next up How to Walk Away by Katherine Center, a book a friend of mine really really enjoyed, will write my final review when I finish!

@CareBearsThat was me who read the book recently. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. I love finding those books that are quiet little treasures, that are not heavily promoted, but tell a story that speaks to us. I will have to check out her other book also. Thanks for that info.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Jar of Hearts (Jennifer Hillier) and I agree it was a fast, easy read.  I thought it was pretty good up until the very ending.  I don't know if it was just rushed or just plain terrible (maybe even ridiculous).  It made me downgrade the book to just 3 stars.

Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu  Since you enjoyed the writing style of Colleen Oakley, you would probably enjoy the book How to Walk Away, very similar writing style, and it is very good so far, a tragic story with a bit of humor just to make the characters even more endearing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Best Day Ever by Kaira Rouda, Death of Mrs Westaway by Ruth WAre and finally fished Baby Teeth by Zoje State.  All were the thriller variety and pretty good.  

Next up is Whiskey When We're Dry by John Larison.

Respected Contributor

Just finished reading The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg.  It is a very easy, fast, and feel-good book.  It reminds me of The Man Named Ove. But I like Ove better.  

Respected Contributor

The President is missing and Texas Ranger by james patterson and OMG they are sooooo  good

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished How to Walk away by Katherine Center, what a good book, I really really enjoyed it. The story had it all, tragedy, love, family dynamics good and bad, betrayal, and a life lesson that everyone in the world should follow each and every day, so good!

Not sure what is up next as always I have more than a few to choose from, I will be back, happy reading everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to French Exit by Patrick deWitt. The story follows scandal plagued Frances and her fairly worthless son (oh - and their cat) as they flee to Paris after they spend all of their inheritance. I think it’s kind of trying for a “Dinner at Eight” vibe as we meet a strange cast of characters that come to surround the family.  Other reviews compare it to Arrested Development or a Wes Anderson film.

I didn’t necessarily dislike the book but, honestly, I won’t recommend as the characters aren’t particularly likable (Frances was just too selfish for me) and there are a couple sections, in particular, that would be too strange for many readers. It was a quick “read” though.

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished How to Walk away by Katherine Center, what a good book, I really really enjoyed it. The story had it all, tragedy, love, family dynamics good and bad, betrayal, and a life lesson that everyone in the world should follow each and every day, so good!

Not sure what is up next as always I have more than a few to choose from, I will be back, happy reading everyone!

I really enjoyed this book a lot.  I rec'd an ARC and glad I did. I've never read any of her others but I think at one time some were on my list but took them off due to change in taste in books over the years.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@dawg lover  thanks for the additional information on the "In Death" series.  That does help.  You've given it high praise! 

My library doesn't have Wild Fire yet.  They have all the others.  Hopefully they'll get it soon.  I read this is the last Shetland book. 

@smoky22 - I finished "WILD FIRE," and it was pretty good.  The author wraps everything up neatly.  It is definitely the final book of the series, as she states that right at the beginning, and in every interview she did for the book.  Her reason is that she has "written all she can about Shetland."  I noticed that her husband also died recently, so that may affect her decision as well.  She is in her mid-60's, so perhaps she is ready for a well-earned retirement.