Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ SEPTEMBER 2018

I just started another Terry Pratchett Discworld book: Witches Abroad.

A fantasy in which three witches travel to the kingdom of Genua to stop a princess from marrying the wrong person. Her mean fairy godmother tries to disrupt the witches. 

I've read everything by Terry Pratchett, but it's been a few years so I enjoy reading them again. His Discworld novel are some of my favorites. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished the last two Jillian Bradley books by Nancy Jill Thames. 

I think of the two, my favorite is Murder at the Empress Hotel.  The book is based in Victoria, which is a beautiful city.  The restaurants and the hotel are real, which is one of the things that I really like about her books.  You really get a feel for the city.

The last book of the series is Museums Can Be Murder.  The ending was probably quite a surprise for those of us who have read the entire series.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished a novella, The Wedding of Ginger & Basil, part of the Lady Gold mystery series by Lee Strauss.  This was a nice way to tie everything up as they approached their marriage.  If anyone is planning on reading the series, it is best to read in order, as Lady Gold's life changed drastically from the first book.  Looking forward to the next one.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

I have been in a reading slump for awhile now but I just started the audiobook ID RATHER BE READING: THE DELIGHTS AND DILEMMAS OF THE READING LIFE by Anne Bogel. She is the woman behind The Modern Mrs Darcy blog and the What Should I Read Next podcast.

The book is small chapters of how reading has different impacts on your life. The choices of what you read or the authors you choose and how they can educate us, entertain us or how some of the main characters just keep us company. I just started listening but so far I'm enjoying it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@judaline, you asked in the August thread if I found Britt-Marie and Eleanor Oliphant have things in common (can't remember what word you used) and this is my third post (deleted the other two) and I realize it's a hard question.  I'm not sure.  .I much prefer the character of Britt-Marie yet I prefer Eleanor's book.  Not sure if that makes sense. 

What do you think and anyone else, please chime in. 

It's an interesting question.  Might be a good question for a book club, read both books and then discuss, but what do I know, I've never been in a book club.

@LoriLori-Eleanor Oliphant is my favorite book of the year so far. I wasn't at all happy with Britt-Marie in either of the books I tried to read where she appeared. I know many of you love her and so I won't say anything negative. I'll just say I couldn't get into any of those books, although I did love Ove and enjoyed his book very much.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@judaline, you asked in the August thread if I found Britt-Marie and Eleanor Oliphant have things in common (can't remember what word you used) and this is my third post (deleted the other two) and I realize it's a hard question.  I'm not sure.  .I much prefer the character of Britt-Marie yet I prefer Eleanor's book.  Not sure if that makes sense. 

What do you think and anyone else, please chime in. 

It's an interesting question.  Might be a good question for a book club, read both books and then discuss, but what do I know, I've never been in a book club.

@LoriLori-Eleanor Oliphant is my favorite book of the year so far. I wasn't at all happy with Britt-Marie in either of the books I tried to read where she appeared. I know many of you love her and so I won't say anything negative. I'll just say I couldn't get into any of those books, although I did love Ove and enjoyed his book very much.

@sunala  and @LoriLori  Just my two cents worth.  While I enjoyed the Britt-Marie books, she never seemed that real to me.  She was always a fictional character.  Eleanor was more fleshed out.  They were both anti-social in the beginning, but I don't think they were really anything alike.  

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori, and all who reflected on the Britt/Eleanor theory. You're all right. I believe I said I saw the resemblance when I first began Eleanor Oliphant, possibly because I had just read Britt.But then I said as pages turned, 'not so much' or some such words. Eleanor was much more in depth I think, and real. Britt-Marie as someone said was more fictitous, but both enjoyable reads. I guess you'd say the Britt book, and I only read Britt-Marie was Here, was much more light hearted. Eleanor Oliphant, well, this was serious stuff.This was the real deal. (didn't you love the surprise at the end about the phone calls?) I like each for whom they were. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Close enough to Touch by Colleen OAKLEY, I really enjoyed this book, and wanted to thank the person who highlighted this book for us not to long ago, the author used just enough humor in her writing, that it did not take away from the seriousness of the story, but for me IMO endeared the characters even more so, at the back of the book they listed a few pages of her next book titled Before I Go I put in a request for it at the library, as it sounds really good from the few pages they gave a glimpse into it.

Next up How to Walk Away by Katherine Center, a book a friend of mine really really enjoyed, will write my final review when I finish!

Respected Contributor

I finished The Color of Law by Mark Gimenez.  It is his first book , I believe and I enjoyed it because it takes place in my hometown of Dallas so I could 'see' all of the places he describes.   I thought it was good not great but will read another one or two of his just to see how they are.

I'm now reading The Fix by David Baldacci.   I've read a lot of his books and like many mainstream authors, I didn't like all of them but this is a page turner from the very beginning.  

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

I just finished Jar of Hearts.  It was a good read.  LM

@Lilysmom  This just became available to me.  Glad to hear you liked it. 

@smoky22@Lilysmom

I just finished JAR OF HEARTS also - good psychological thriller. I didn't connect with the characters emotionally but this was a fast easy read.