Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ SEPTEMBER 2018

@smoky22 - I just love the In Death series by J. D. Robb.  Yes, there are 2-3 obligatory love scenes in each book (I skip over those), but most of the book is about crime-fighting.  I actually don't like Eve the heroine as much as I like all the wonderful side characters in the books.  There's lots of snappy police banter and humor, and the books get better as they go along.  I have read all 46 of the previous books, plus the occasional novellas, and I would say that only 2 out of 46 books were not my favorites.  That's a pretty good ratio!  The futuristic touches are interesting too.  Plus, Roarke is dreamy!

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  thanks for the additional information on the "In Death" series.  That does help.  You've given it high praise! 

My library doesn't have Wild Fire yet.  They have all the others.  Hopefully they'll get it soon.  I read this is the last Shetland book. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell, I really enjoyed it,  Now how to describe it, it is a rather complicated story about a family and all their relationships, the mother being a hoarder, and the kids do not realize how bad their mother had become, because they all really fell out of touch with one another.  It was a chaotic book, but such deep meaning about family, overall I gave it 4.5 stars,

Next up Close Enough To Touch by Colleen Oakley.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@Judaline - That is fantastic news!  Looking forward to books 4, 5, and 6!

Yes, Sept. #4, Fall of 19 will bring us #5 and the following fall, #6. I am doing my happy dance, just like Robo!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Jar of Hearts.  It was a good read.  LM

PS, I should say more about the book.  I automatically assume people check Goodreads for storyline but not all do that.

This is a coming of age story about three friends in high school and a mystery.  One of them makes a romantic connection that has serious consequences.  The book deals with the relationship of these three people and how it evolves into adulthood.

I don’t want to say anymore than this because of spoilers.  They characters are well developed, the mystery is a good one and I enjoyed it.  It is just the right length, about 300 pages.  

I will read this author again.  Thanks to whoever recommended.  @smoky22, I think this is on your list.

@Carebears, was this your recommendation?   LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I just finished Jar of Hearts.  It was a good read.  LM

@Lilysmom  This just became available to me.  Glad to hear you liked it. 

Regular Contributor

In an effort to get back into the swing of things as an educator, I have been reading a lot of kiddo and YA books.

Kiddo Books I finished:

The Amelia Bedelia collection by Peggy Parish

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

This Book Will Not Be Fun by Cirocco Dunlap

The Three Little Superpigs by Claire Evans

Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein

The Creature of the Pines (book #1 in The Unicorn Rescue Society) by Adam Gidwitz

Middle Grade and YA Books I finished:

Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz - intense middle grade novel about the Holocaust. I was a little surprised by the intended audience (I will definitely recommend it for a YA reader, but maybe not middle grade).  This book is really intense, but it was mostly a heavy dose of reality and filled with truth! It was an excellent read. 

George by Alex Gino (book about a transgender youth)

1. To All the Boys I Loved Before (Book #1 has a new Netflix movie that is excellent!)

2. PS, I Still Love You 

3. Always and Forever, Lara Jean  all by Jenny Han

Adult Books I finished!

The Late Bloomers' Club by Louise Miller, book 2 in a small town series with excellent secondary characters that you really start to care about!

When We Found Home by Susan Mallery - The story of 3 half siblings that find out about each other and figure out how to live as a family. This one was great!

Respected Contributor

I'm reading The Sometimes Sisters by Carolyn Brown.  The story of 3 sisters who don't get along very well.  Their grandmother dies and leaves them the resort she owns - a general store, cafe and rental cabins on a lake.  Their "adopted" uncle and best friend of the grandmother still works and lives there and knows it was her wish that the 3 sisters could somehow get along.  It's interesting and I would recommend it. 

Honored Contributor

The Lady Of Tarpon Springs, by Judith Miller;

The Favorite Sister, by Jessica Knoll.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Finished THE PERFECT LIAR, it was excellent! I won this from Goodreads, and it isn't available, I believe until Jan 2019. Grab it when you can, it is a great psychological thriller......

I am now starting LITTLE DISASTERS, By Randall Klein!