Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ SEPTEMBER 2018

Whistling' Dixie In A Nor'easter by Lisa Patton

Leelee moved with her family from Memphis TN to Vermont to run an inn. Not really her choice! 

This is the author's debut novel. I liked it and have next two reserved. 

Respected Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

Leelee moved with her family from Memphis TN to Vermont to run an inn. Not really her choice! 

@DukeBlueNan, her books are so good.  I need to read her latest Rush.  I'm sure it's as good as her others!

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

So excited to get to the library tomorrow when it re-opens after the Labor Day holiday, to pick up three new books:  "LEVERAGE IN DEATH" by J. D. Robb ( the wonderful In Death mystery series, one of my absolute favorites), "THE CATS CAME BACK" by Sofie Kelly (the latest in the very cute Magical Cats cozy mystery series), and "WILD FIRE" by Ann Cleeves (the new book in the Shetland series.)  I will be banging on the library doors at opening time, to let me in!

@dawg lover  you've finally convinced me to start the "IN DEATH" series.  I've always resisted it because it seemed like too much emphasis on romance.  In fact I started the first in the series once and think I gave up on it.  Maybe I should start with Book 2 now.  I get the general premise.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover I am over the moon. Margaret Mizushima just answered my email!! She assured me that Robo won't die on her watch (hahahaha love it) altho he may get roughed up a little, and that as you said the new book is released Sept. 11, Book 5 and 6 to follow shortly after. She has a contract for six books. I guess we have to sweat it after that! Go to her website and view her credentials, or resume or whatever we should call it-most impressive. The lady has been around. Tell your friends. We don't want her publisher to drop her!!!!  Perish the thought.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I finished listening to Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon. Florence is 84 and has fallen in her flat at the nursing home.  As she waits for someone to help her, she thinks about the home’s newest resident - someone who suspiciously looks like someone who was supposed to have died 60 years ago.

There’s more to this story as Florence tries to put the pieces together in her mind (other reviews will give more details). I thought this was a quiet story and I think several readers here would like to read about sweet Flo and her best friend Elsie. Well written, with interesting turns of phrase.

Structually, the book takes place in the present.  It isn’t one chapter in the 1950’s, one chapter modern day.  There are three narrators, but Flo is main one. 

@Alter Ego- I just got this book from the wait list. I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm enjoying books like this lately; they're great to read after reading psychological dramas or sad stories. Thanks for reminding me I have it!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

@DukeBlueNan- oh this sounds great! I just checked my library but the e-book has 3 holds on each copy. I wish I could read it right now!! Thanks for the heads up.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala I look forward to your review.  I hate to recommend anything because I frankly tend to like almost everything!  A slight exaggeration, but probably not by much LOL. Plus, I really think listening is a different experience than reading.

I will say that I’ve kept away from psychological thrillers lately, finding them usually  predictable. Other than Vox, I think I’ve been very lucky with my recent audibles and am looking forward to my next selections! (Next being French Exit by Patrick deWitt)

Honored Contributor

Did some damage from hoiliday starting at noon on Friday until this a.m.

The Lady At Tarpon Springs, by Judith Miller;

You Me Everything, by Catherine Issaac;

Days of Awe (short story selections), by A.M. Homes;

Social Creature, by Tara Isabella Burton.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu, loved The Outsider.  No one was more surprised than I to become a huge Stephen King fan.  I love his storytelling style.  I haven’t done much of the horror books but I loved the Mr. Mercedes series and everything else of his I read.  It is always disappointing to turn to another author after one of his which speaks to his writing skill.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@dawg loverI am over the moon. Margaret Mizushima just answered my email!! She assured me that Robo won't die on her watch (hahahaha love it) altho he may get roughed up a little, and that as you said the new book is released Sept. 11, Book 5 and 6 to follow shortly after. She has a contract for six books. I guess we have to sweat it after that! Go to her website and view her credentials, or resume or whatever we should call it-most impressive. The lady has been around. Tell your friends. We don't want her publisher to drop her!!!!  Perish the thought.

@Judaline - That is fantastic news!  Looking forward to books 4, 5, and 6!