Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ SEPTEMBER 2018

[ Edited ]

I highly recommend The Masterpiece by Fiona Davis.  This is her newest book.  Her preivious titles (also very good) are The Address (about the Dakota apartment building) and The Dollhouse (about the Barbizon Hotel).  

The Masterpiece is about Grand Central Station in New York City.  This author always has both a contemporary story line and a historic story line.  The historic story in this book is about the 1920s, glory days of Grand Central, and an art school that was housed there.  The contemporary story is set in the 1960s when Grand Central is in very poor condition and is on the verge of being demolished.  Of course the two stories intersect to make a worthy climax.  

The characters are very interesting and I found the story fascinating.  It was a very good read. 

Respected Contributor

I'm just about to start Trunk Music, the 5th Harry Bosch.  Last month there were some comments about the Netflix version and the guy playing Harry.  I don't have Netflix, but whenever I picture Harry I see Alan Ladd from The Blue Dahlia (I'm old).  I don't think they're anything alike physically, but there's something about the dialogue.   

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I'm just about to start Trunk Music, the 5th Harry Bosch.  Last month there were some comments about the Netflix version and the guy playing Harry.  I don't have Netflix, but whenever I picture Harry I see Alan Ladd from The Blue Dahlia (I'm old).  I don't think they're anything alike physically, but there's something about the dialogue. 

Well, I sure loved that movie and I love Alan Ladd. I'd never thought of him as Bosch. I don't think I'd ever seen him as a cop. Not even a private eye, right? Very interesting, @smoky22. I'm thinking maybe Lloyd Nolan. I loved him and I think he'd've been good. On the younger side maybe Dlck Powell or William Powell is probably more in the age bracket.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

Well, I sure loved that movie and I love Alan Ladd. I'd never thought of him as Bosch. I don't think I'd ever seen him as a cop. Not even a private eye, right? Very interesting, @smoky22. I'm thinking maybe Lloyd Nolan. I loved him and I think he'd've been good. On the younger side maybe Dlck Powell or William Powell is probably more in the age bracket.

@Judaline  lol, your choices are interesting.  I love D*i*c*k Powell but for some reason I can't unsee Alan Ladd (maybe just in that role).  The Blue Dahlia was based on a screenplay by Raymond Chandler and it has that film noir style.  Alan Ladd's mannerisms in that movie just make me think of Harry.  AL was a professional killer in This Gun For Hire, but you're right, most of his other roles are really different (Shane, for example).

eta: not sure how you got d*i*c*k powell to post.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murder at Mirror Lake by Nancy Jill Thayer, book 9 in the Jillian Bradley mystery series.  She writes cozy Christian mysteries.  

This book is about a girls' trip to New England to see fall foliage, with the setting at Lake Placid.  Jillian and her small dog, Teddy, are the main characters.  What is always nice about her books is that these are real places and you feel like you are there with her.  Every hotel and restaurant are really there.  

While this was not her best book, it was easy reading, and the area that she writes about is lovely.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@smoky22  It's an optical illusion. Just put a small "l" instead of a small "i". Dlck Powell.

Trusted Contributor

So excited to get to the library tomorrow when it re-opens after the Labor Day holiday, to pick up three new books:  "LEVERAGE IN DEATH" by J. D. Robb ( the wonderful In Death mystery series, one of my absolute favorites), "THE CATS CAME BACK" by Sofie Kelly (the latest in the very cute Magical Cats cozy mystery series), and "WILD FIRE" by Ann Cleeves (the new book in the Shetland series.)  I will be banging on the library doors at opening time, to let me in!

@Judaline - check out post #14, which has a message for you.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover Dunno how I missed your post so a dubbl thanks! So glad you like her books. I love Robo so much I had to write and tell her and that's  where I saw a FOURTH book. I am delieriously happy! I subscribed for all her news and I will let you know. You read faster than I do, I'm only just finishing #3. LOVE it just like the others-can't pick which one I love most. Thanks much for letting me know. I value your feedback. I'll tell you one thing. When, in the future she says Robo is getting gray, I will have to stop or ask you if I should go on. Hopefully, just like Stephanie Plum, things will never change.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished up Secret Prey by John Sanford. (LOVED IT)

I have not made up my mind about what I am going to read next. I started Blue Monday, by Nicci French but I put it down to read Secret Prey. I have six books from the lIbrary to choose from so I will make a decision later on today. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon. Florence is 84 and has fallen in her flat at the nursing home.  As she waits for someone to help her, she thinks about the home’s newest resident - someone who suspiciously looks like someone who was supposed to have died 60 years ago.

There’s more to this story as Florence tries to put the pieces together in her mind (other reviews will give more details). I thought this was a quiet story and I think several readers here would like to read about sweet Flo and her best friend Elsie. Well written, with interesting turns of phrase.

Structually, the book takes place in the present.  It isn’t one chapter in the 1950’s, one chapter modern day.  There are three narrators, but Flo is main one.