Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ SEPTEMBER 2018

[ Edited ]

@fit model wrote:

So happy to find a "book club" to share stories with. Right now I am reading The Soul of America, by Jon Meacham. Tough read, but fascinating history. I also am a huge mystery book fan. My favorite  author is James Lee Burke, followed by John Sanford and others. My fiction currently is U is for Undertow, by Sue Grafton, who we lost this year.

I hadn't read her books in a long time, and I feel that she had really grown and matured as an author. I and others, will surely miss her contributions.

I look forward to reading about this community of book lovers.

Welcome to all our reading world.  If not for these precious readers I would have missed out on so many good reads.  Too many books and to few hours to read in a day.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I just finished Dark of the Moon (John Sandford) and was not impressed .  I was bored through most of it and didn't really care for Virgil.  Maybe he gets better since everyone seems to love him. But I felt the same way about the first two Lucas Davenport books.  Sandford just doesn't click with me.  I think I'm done trying to like his books.

Respected Contributor

I'm in the middle of Glory in Death (2nd in the Eve Dallas series) and I like it so far. 

But, The Guilty Dead came out today (latest in the Monkeewrench series).  I couldn't help myself, I ordered it from Amazon.  Who knows when my library will get it.  I rarely buy a book so this is a real exception.

Trusted Contributor

I was delighted to open my mailbox today and find a package from Book Depository with the new Alexander McCall Smith book in his Precious series, "THE COLORS OF ALL THE CATTLE."  This book is not coming out in the US until November 1st, but I found a pretty good price on a paperback edition from them, with free shipping of course, and could not resist.  This is such a lovely series and I can't wait to read it.

Meanwhile, four new books are in transit to me from the library:

"THE GUILTY DEAD" by P J Tracy (Monkeewrench mystery series)

"HITTING THE BOOKS" by Jenn McKinlay (Library Lovers mystery series)

"'LETHAL WHITE" by Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling's mystery series)

"FEAR" by Bob Woodward

I will be very busy reading this week!

Esteemed Contributor

I started reading The Bookshop Of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson, I am only 1/4 of the way into it and am emjoying it, will give my fina review when I finish.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I just finished Dark of the Moon (John Sandford) and was not impressed .  I was bored through most of it and didn't really care for Virgil.  Maybe he gets better since everyone seems to love him. But I felt the same way about the first two Lucas Davenport books.  Sandford just doesn't click with me.  I think I'm done trying to like his books.

Virgil Flowers' character doesn't change much in his books, so it's doubtful that you'd feel differently reading another story. It sounds like Sandford  just isn't your type. 

I tried reading Alafair Burke's 212, and couldn't get into it. Burke is a popular author, but the story was convoluted to me and went from one scenario to another with nothing connecting. i also didn't care about the character Ellie Hatcher. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori  you are too funny, recommending a book you aren't going to read.  I guess the recommendation comes from your mother.  I don't usually read serial killer books.  I doubt I'll be reading this one, but you're right, it has a lot of great reviews.   

Are you getting Fear tomorrow or will it be shipped out to you tomorrow (and then you'll get it Thursday)?

My mother races through them, she gobbles books like I'd gobble M&Ms if I still ate them, the more twisted the better...and then she mostly forgets them.  I have a book where I log everything I get her and sometimes I'll get a Patterson out of order and she doesn't notice.  

I did get "Fear," that's the beauty of pre-ordering.  I pre-ordered Liane Moriarty's next one, coming out in November.  You get it the day it's published.

I read the Prologue but because it's 9/11, as much as I've been waiting and waiting for "Fear," I just don't have the heart to read it today.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton. I don't see myself finishing this series of books. I can't put my finger on it, but they just do not have enough punch for me if that makes any sense. This is my second book in the series, and for me it's not the type of book where I can't wait to get back to and find out what's happening.  Case in point I started this book last week sometime. It's a small book. I should have knocked it out in three days tops with work and life, but it took me well over a week to get through and I did not pick it up at all over the weekend. 

I am on to All That Remains by Patricia D. Cornwell. I enjoy this author so this will give me the excitement that I am use to and expect while reading. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Banker’s Wife.  It was kind of meh for me.  LM

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

Same for me, smoky, Virgil 'just doesn't click with me.' In fact I find him yuk. It only took 1 book for me, tho. I know when I don't like somebody so I stop right there.