Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

Young Jane, by Gabrielle Zevin;

The Doctor's Wife, by Myra Hargrave McIlvain;

At Fairfield Orchard; by Emma Cane.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Danielle Steel's new book, "THE RIGHT TIME", which was one of her better books.  The heroine was a writer, and the themes of professional jealousy and lack of support from other writers run through the book, so I imagine Steel put a lot of her own personal feelings into the story.  Whether you like Danielle Steel or not, you can't deny she has been hugely successful in her genre.

I'm going to the library today to pick up two new books, and I'm very excited!  One is "SECRETS IN DEATH", the new J. D. Robb mystery novel.  The IN DEATH series is one of my favorites, so I know I'll be reading it right away.  Also, J. A. Jance's new mystery novel "PROOF OF LIFE" is waiting for me.  This is in her J. P. Beaumont series, which is my favorite of her three series.  Lots of great reading ahead!

Honored Contributor

I am reading THE GUARDIAN, by Nicholas Sparks. It is very good, and I am almost finished with it.....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I started A Free Life, by Ha Jin. I have SO MANY other books but this book just popped up on my Kindle, so I started reading. It's very good and I'm enjoying it a lot. However, I discovered it's 674 pages! I don't read long books anymore, but I will read this one because I think it's THAT good.

Has anyone read it?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 3/4 iof the way through "The Devil Crept In" byAnia Ahl Born" a new author for me, and this book is more of a horror story, which is not something I usually read, and I have no idea what to write as a review as it would give away the story, so I will let Amazon do it, there are some pretty graphic parts though. But this story has me reading and reading!

An unforgettable horror novel from bestselling sensation Ania Ahlborn—hailed as a writer of “some of the most promising horror I’ve encountered in years” (New York Times bestselling author Seanan McGuire)—in which a small-town boy investigates the mysterious disappearance of his cousin and uncovers a terrifying secret kept hidden for years.

Young Jude Brighton has been missing for three days, and while the search for him is in full swing in the small town of Deer Valley, Oregon, the locals are starting to lose hope. They’re well aware that the first forty-eight hours are critical and after that, the odds usually point to a worst-case scenario. And despite Stevie Clark’s youth, he knows that, too; he’s seen the cop shows. He knows what each ticking moment may mean for Jude, his cousin and best friend.

That, and there was that boy, Max Larsen...the one from years ago, found dead after also disappearing under mysterious circumstances. And then there were the animals: pets gone missing out of yards. For years, the residents of Deer Valley have murmured about these unsolved crimes…and that a killer may still be lurking around their quiet town. Now, fear is reborn—and for Stevie, who is determined to find out what really happened to Jude, the awful truth may be too horrifying to imagine.

Honored Contributor

I just finished If The Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss.  I don't remember how I heard about this book but I did not have much hope for it when I started it and it drew me in.  This is a debut novel and will definitely look for more from this author.

"In a North Carolina mountain town filled with moonshine and rotten husbands, Sadie Blue is only the latest girl to face a dead-end future at the mercy of a dangerous drunk. She's been married to Roy Tupkin for fifteen days, and she knows now that she should have listened to the folks who said he was trouble. But when a stranger sweeps in and knocks the world off-kilter for everyone in town, Sadie begins to think there might be more to life than being Roy's wife. As stark and magnificent as Appalachia itself, If the Creek Don't Rise is a bold and beautifully layered debut about a dusty, desperate town finding the inner strength it needs to outrun its demons. The folks of Baines Creek will take you deep into the mountains with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit."-- Provided by publisher

I also read Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton.  I think I am over this author.  

Super Contributor

@sunalaHa Jin is one of my favorite authors.  I actually re-read his books.

Trusted Contributor

I recently finished Barely Legal by Stuart Woods.  This book features Herbie Fisher, one of the characters introduced in the Stone Barrington series.  Barrington has a very small role in this book.  

I would describe this novel as a romp.  There is nonstop action from beginning to end with several unrelated situations intersecting in unexpected ways.  

I enjoyed this book.  It was a nice change from the usual bed to bed dramatics of the Barrington series.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I just finished If The Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss.  I don't remember how I heard about this book but I did not have much hope for it when I started it and it drew me in.  This is a debut novel and will definitely look for more from this author.

"In a North Carolina mountain town filled with moonshine and rotten husbands, Sadie Blue is only the latest girl to face a dead-end future at the mercy of a dangerous drunk. She's been married to Roy Tupkin for fifteen days, and she knows now that she should have listened to the folks who said he was trouble. But when a stranger sweeps in and knocks the world off-kilter for everyone in town, Sadie begins to think there might be more to life than being Roy's wife. As stark and magnificent as Appalachia itself, If the Creek Don't Rise is a bold and beautifully layered debut about a dusty, desperate town finding the inner strength it needs to outrun its demons. The folks of Baines Creek will take you deep into the mountains with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit."-- Provided by publisher

I also read Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton.  I think I am over this author.  

LOL...did you read 25 of Grafton's books, @DiAnne?

The Leah Weiss book sounds interesting though.

Esteemed Contributor

National Read a Book Dau.jpg