Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished Behold The Dreamers (Imbolo Mbue), a realistic, empathetic story about the hardships and fears that undocumented immigrants face as they try to capture some part of the American Dream.  There is so much in this book.  It's also about class, race, marriage and family.  I highly recommend it.

@smoky22- I absolutely loved this book!  I read it last September 6th; wow, a year ago, and it's still so fresh in my mind.

If I were to read a book a second time, this would have been the one. LOVED it! I'm so glad you enjoyed it too.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@pachutabelle wrote:

Our local book club is reading (or re-reading in some cases) THE RED TENT by Anita Diamant.  The story of Dinah, daughter of Jacob from the Book of Genisis, it tells about the struggles of women in those times.

I am re-reading THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD by James Lee Burke getting ready for the release of his next Dave Robicheaux novel ROBICHEAUX in January.  Not often that I re-read anything but making an exception for these two.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of Ken Follett's third book in the saga from THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH and WORLD WITHOUT END.  This one is A COLUMN OF FIRE and we are up to the time of Queen Elizabeth in the 1500's.  Got it pre-ordered and can't wait!

@pachutabelle- For whatever the reason, I could never get into The Red Tent.  I probably tried it a half-dozen times, but it just didn't work for me. Now I'm thinking maybe I should try it one more time, since so many people enjoyed it. The same thing happened with The Book Thief. I tried to read it several times but I couldn't get into it. I finally told myself that I'm done. I'm probably done with The Red Tent as well. 

Valued Contributor

I'm on an Outlander kick and am reading Voyager (Diana Gabaldon).  I have watched the two seasons on TV so am reading the third book, my first with this author.

Esteemed Contributor

@pachutabelle, I love James Lee Burke.  I will have to check out THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.  I think I have read every one of his books.  I find with the ereader that titles don't stick with me.  I was bad at titles before but now it's even worse.

Glad to hear Follette has a new one coming!  LM

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so happy!  Reading Louise Penny's  Glass Houses.

Penny does such a great job of drawing you into the main characters as well as the other residents of Three Pines.  I almost feel like a resident of this quaint village.  

@sunala I have this book on my wish list.  I think it will be timely with the current changes in immigration procedures.

I am hoping the dreamers will be permitted to stay in the US.

Honored Contributor

I read a lot of "heavy duty" books. 

I just started this morning:  The Bible and the Liturgy by Jean Danielou, SJ.   It's only 347 pages but will probably take me to close to the end of the year.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This morning I finished reading Being Esther by Miriam Karmel, about an 85-year old widow who is trying to stay independent in her own home, while her daughter is trying to put her into assisted living, which Miriam calls "Bingoville" with great disdain. Her old friend wound up there because she put lipstick on her eyebrows, (among other things) and now she's turned into a zombie.

Esther is a soft-spoken, interesting, loving and intelligent character whose body, she discovers, is slowly betraying her.

This was a simple yet complex and very enjoyable read. I recommend it to anyone who is getting older and starting to feel it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I've got so many selections my head is spinning!

Valued Contributor

@pateacher @sunala

I'vet eagerly awaited Louise Penny's Glass Houses!  It's on my Kindle.  I need a day or two to do nothing but read it and enjoy the world of Armand Gamache and Three Pines.  Cannot wait.

Valued Contributor

I am in the middle of The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough.  If you have not read this, I recommend it.  McCullough is a master at bringing history to life.  This is the story of building the Panama Canal.  What an enormous undertaking, an engineering masterpiece wrapped in a web of politics and egos.  I had no idea.  

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom  Enjoy.  The Good Daughter is outstanding.