Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

@sunala wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

Finished The Address this morning.  Great read!  I think it is even better than The Doll House. Both books are by Fiona Davis.

Started Saints for all Occasions  by J. Courtney Sullivan this afternoon.  Too soon to know if it is a hit or a miss.

@pateacher- I'm glad you enjoyed The Address! I added it to my list a few weeks ago. I've always been fascinated by the Dakota. Since reading about it in Rosemary's Baby,  Time and Again by Jack Finney and then his sequel From Time to Time, I can't pass a book by if it relates to The Dakota. I can't wait to read it!

Sunny, The Address is on giveaways (print form) on Goodreads until 9/26 in case you're interested in entering.

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

Finished The Address this morning.  Great read!  I think it is even better than The Doll House. Both books are by Fiona Davis.

Started Saints for all Occasions  by J. Courtney Sullivan this afternoon.  Too soon to know if it is a hit or a miss.

@pateacher- I'm glad you enjoyed The Address! I added it to my list a few weeks ago. I've always been fascinated by the Dakota. Since reading about it in Rosemary's Baby,  Time and Again by Jack Finney and then his sequel From Time to Time, I can't pass a book by if it relates to The Dakota. I can't wait to read it!

Sunny, The Address is on giveaways (print form) on Goodreads until 9/26 in case you're interested in entering.

@SWEET- thanks Janey. I'm on my way!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Falling to Earth by Kate Southwood

About the Tri state Tornado on March 18, 1925.  Killed over a 1,000 people.  One family emerges almost unscathed.  Even the children are fine.  They were sick & not at school (where many fatalities were.)  Story is about the reaction of the neighbors who see their lives ruined and this family whole & unharmed).  Jealousy, rage, witchcraft, you name it.  The neighbors are enraged.  And they want revenge.  Chilly & suspenseful.  Tri state tornado was a true story.  On the ground for almost an hour and destroyed everyone in it's path.

@songbird- I'd never heard of this book so I looked it up. My e-library doesn't have it but I recommended it, and hopefully it will come in. It sounds like a book I'd really like to read. It's a novel, but based on a true story. Can't wait to read it! Thanks!

The stom was very violent.  But one reason so many died is of course no advance warning.  That was an extreme tornado.  I forgot the states involved.  It kind of zig zaged around in the area where states meet.  I like fiction (I would have been horrifed if that part was true) but based on actual events.  My favorite character is a little 4 year old with a remarkable name...Homer.  And of course, his mom.  

Super Contributor

I was in an Agatha Christie mood, so I'm reading Murder at the Vicarage which includes my favorite person, Jane Marple. 

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished "Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe" by Jenny Colgan".  If you have read any  of this author' books this one will not disappoint. Issy is a 31 year old woman working in a job that does not bring out the best she has to offer, and when the company decides to downsize, Issy being one of the first to be let go, and by her boyfriend, it forces Issy  to make some life changes. Growing up she sat on a stool while her grandfather made beautiful tasty treats in his 3 bakeries, teaching Issy everything he knows.  She makes the decision to open her own cafe/bakery andn eyes a property that has seen it's fair share of tenants come and go none of them succeeding she decides her plan will indeed be successful and that is where this delightful story really beings!

I loved her cupcake book I have to go to the bakery while reading her works.  Always check to see if she as new selections out.

Stayed strong last night and covered up the new Mitford book with my other library selections that I got with it.  Trying to wait until at least Friday morning to start it @CareBears

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Everything I Never Told You, by Celeste Ng;

The Last Summer At Chelsea Beach, by Pam Jenoff

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

The Fever Code by James Dashner which is book number five in the Maze Runner series. I enjoyed the whole series even though I understand that it is supposed to be YA. This fifth book is a prequel to the whole series.

I also read The Island House by Nancy Thayer. It was okay. I think I'm just getting to a stage in my life where the problems of some of the younger characters in books seem unrelatable to me and I find them trivial and annoying. I guess I'm becoming an old grouch or maybe the writing is just not good enough for me to feel understanding or sympathetic.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

I finished First Degree (David Rosenfelt), the 2nd in the Andy Carpenter series.  Very enjoyable.

I also read Cold Vengeance (Agent Pendergast) and was not pleased with all the violence in this one.  One more to go in the Helen Trilogy and I'll be happy to put this story line behind me.

I'm still reading The Last Days of Night (fascinating).

I've noticed a trend recently that there is a long waiting list for ebooks and yet the same book is on the shelf at the library.  Right now, I was able to get Before We Were Yours (Lisa Wingate) and Glass Houses (Louise Penny) off the shelf at the library, and yet there are 200 people ahead of me for that last ebook.  I wish my eyes were better.  I would go back to reading real books from the library. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished First Degree (David Rosenfelt), the 2nd in the Andy Carpenter series.  Very enjoyable.

I also read Cold Vengeance (Agent Pendergast) and was not pleased with all the violence in this one.  One more to go in the Helen Trilogy and I'll be happy to put this story line behind me.

I'm still reading The Last Days of Night (fascinating).

I've noticed a trend recently that there is a long waiting list for ebooks and yet the same book is on the shelf at the library.  Right now, I was able to get Before We Were Yours (Lisa Wingate) and Glass Houses (Louise Penny) off the shelf at the library, and yet there are 200 people ahead of me for that last ebook.  I wish my eyes were better.  I would go back to reading real books from the library. 

@smoky22, can you read the large print books?  They are sometimes easier to get than regular print.

I am about out half way through Glass Houses.  No comment to make yet.   LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom  I do usually look for large print but these books were only available in regular print.  I haven't started Glass Houses yet (I picked up the other book first).  I'll be interested to see your review when you finish it.  I know you're a big fan of the author (and the reviews I saw were really good).