Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

@Judaline wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Yes, I do that. I discovered the author Dennis Lehane and loved his Patrick Kenzie detective series. But they suddenly ended after about five novels. He then started stand alone novels which I am not going to read. Also read all the Elvis Cole (Robert Crais) mysteries. I guess these and the Stephanie Plum books are my favorites. Have read them all from #1.

@Judaline

Oh gee .... when I started Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, I thought I'd really hit the mother lode of fun mysteries.  By the time she hit number 20 in that series, I thought she was phoning it in, if you know what I mean.  

Since you're a Stephanie Plum fan, I have to ask .....  Morelli or Ranger?   lol

I'm Morelli, all the way. I love Ranger, don't get me wrong. "Ranger is smoke.'' But, I don't know, Italian guys just get to me. Don't especially like how he lays on the couch and drinks beer (OK, so I'm building the perfect guy here-it's fiction, right?) but I like the rest of him,lol. He's a good cop, loves his dog, but he isn't always there for Steph when she needs him. Ranger can be there for her any time of day or night. Now I'm getting confused. No, it's still Morelli for me.

How about you?

@Judaline

Oh, it's got to be Ranger, baby, all the way ......   Heart

Not only is he much sexier and more financially secure, but Stephanie could work in that business and get away from stupid Vinny at some point.  Ranger has a good business head and thinks long term with his business.  

Morelli thinks only from case to case.  If she ended up with Morelli, she'd end up pregnant, living in a box house, and serving coffee cake when the mother in law came over to inspect her housekeeping skills.  UGH!

Admittedly, I can see why Janet can't make a decision about Stephanie being with either one guy or the other ....  why should the poor gal have to choose, anyway?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  All that you said is true. I can't deny it. I love adventure so either guy would be OK on that point. But I've tried the pregnant living in a box life. Maybe it's the security of it, dunno. I guess I'm afraid Ranger would just be too much to handle. Plus, I just don't love Ranger. I love what he does, how he acts, but, I dunno, it's just not love. I'll leave him for you. Sounds like you'd be good for him. He needs the love of a good woman. (but would one woman be enough?) If I were Steph and not me? I'd leave things just the way they are. The best of both worlds.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22& c.:  Not sure if you know Alan Bradley's latest Flavia is being published in January.  It's called "The Grave's a Fine and Favorite Place."  

Can't believe it but people have already received ARC galleys to review.  I'm not in favor of providing ARC copies of galleys let alone months before publication -- what, would they rewrite the book based on the early reviews?

There are already reviews on Goodreads.  I glanced at a few, they were great but the Flavia crowd tends to love every book whereas I've given different ones two stars, three, four and five.

@LoriLori  My goodness.  I don't know where I've been but this is the first time I saw your post.  I'm happy to know there will be a new Flavia book.  I love the character, but the earlier books were better.  I think he doesn't know what to do with her as she gets older.    

As a side note, I hope you're in a safe place and protected from the hurricane.  Please let us know you're all right.

@smoky22, FYI this one starts six months after the cliffhanger at the end of the last one.  And ITA with what you say about his books.

The hurricane:

It's here in earnest now and we are in Broward on the east side and north of the really really bad stuff.  I feel for those people because it's here now in force and we've already had:

four tornado warnings

three power outages (all restored!)

and there's wind-driven water coming through our back windows, and we're on the third floor, and we're in for at least 24 hours of this rain

Thoughts and prayers appreciated and even more the people on the Keys need them, and Naples-Ft. Myers.  

Thanks Heart

ETA:  I've been updating the people on the DAYS thread (some, probably more than they want to know LOL) so by clicking on my nick you can find my latest and thanks for caring!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished "The Keeper of lost things"by Ruth Hogan, a very sweet story!  A man loses one of his most cherished trinkets and is devastated.  He starts picking up lost items he finds along his journey of life, keeping each one in his study after meticulously writing down the date when  he found the object and where.  Upon his death he leaves a detailed letter to his friend and assistant,to continue to help the objects find their way home, which is a daunting task as he had accumulated many lost pieces.  With the help of her friends a website is built to bring people's attention to these items.   What happens over the next few months, is magical how people are reunited with their lost items and the stories that led to them being lost.  Bringing people together in unexpected ways

Trusted Contributor

The Book of Polly by Kathy Hepinstall

Book friends, this is such a good book and a surprise because it's one I just happened to see on the return cart at the library! 

Willow Havens is the 10 year old main character. Her mother had her when she was in her 50's  and Willow lives in fear her mother will die. Mother, Polly, is a cantankerous, take no prisoners Texan who lives to work in her garden, chase varmints, drink margaritas, and antagonize her neighbors! My kind of woman!

There's also the mystery of why her mother left Louisiana years ago and never returned.

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears and @DukeBlueNan both of those books are on my TBR list. Good to hear that they are enjoyable reads.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

Smoky2016, I loved David Grann's book about the Osage murders and thought it was wonderfully written!  In fact, I'm reading his previous book about explorers getting lost in the Amazon jungle--this guy gets his readers right into the picture: a great author!

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2  I read several reviews that thought The Lost City of Z was a better book.  But the tragedy of the Osage Murders was an important story to be told.

Honored Contributor

Book 2 Julie McElwain, A Twist of Time

A Murder in Time: A Novel (Kendra Donovan Mysteries)Book 1 A Murder in Time

Do not usually post photos but these books deserve the treatment-Stars all the way!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

My contention, smoky2016, is that the Osage book was beautifully written; I know you don't agree, but I don't understand why. I'm saying that Grann is an excellent author.