Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  Great review for Glass Houses.  I agree with everything you said.  I think her best book is Bury your Dead, where a lot of the story takes place in that warehouse.  It was gut wrenching.  She has an amazing ability to put you at the scene.  Another book I loved is The Beautiful Mystery.  I felt like I was inside that Monastery.  She is so much more than a mystery writer.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - I thought "MY ITALIAN BULLDOZER" was very cute and I recently read that there will be a sequel!  I look forward to that.  The new Precious book, "THE HOUSE OF UNEXPECTED SISTERS" is coming out in October.  Alexander McCall Smith is one of my favorite authors.

Esteemed Contributor

@bella-luna wrote:

@sunala You're welcome! :-D The story did drag a bit in a couple places, but overall I think it's a GREAT read! So glad you're enjoying it. 

I'm now reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr. I listened to it on tape in the mid-90s when it was brand new but I don't remember ONE thing about it, lol. 

@bella-luna- I'm getting towards the end of the book and now I don't want it to end!! It's getting sadder as I'm reaching the last 20% of the book, and now I don't think I want to know how it ends. It can't be good. I feel weepy already, thinking of what's going to happen to these delightful seniors.

It's also a scary look into the future. But still I love these characters!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22, I really did enjoy this one.    Her husband had dementia and passed while she was writing GLASS HOUSES.  I read an interview somewhere and she said the writing was her escape from the sickness and loss.  

Now we will have to wait a year for the next one. 

I have Ken Follett's new book COLUMN OF FIRE to look forward to.  Happy reading.  LM

Valued Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Colinka wrote:

"Magpie  Murders" by Anthony Horowitz. Can't put it down. English murder mystery within a mystery. Very unique format. You'll like it. Oodles of five star reviews on Goodreads.

I enjoyed it. Heard the detective is going to be a PBS series, but still waiting.

I'm puzzled as to how the detective can be a character in a  PBS series.  All of the books supposedly about this detective are non-existant--the titles and background story were made up by the author (Horowitz) to give a sense of validity to this book.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@bella-luna wrote:

@sunala You're welcome! :-D The story did drag a bit in a couple places, but overall I think it's a GREAT read! So glad you're enjoying it. 

I'm now reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr. I listened to it on tape in the mid-90s when it was brand new but I don't remember ONE thing about it, lol. 

@bella-luna- I'm getting towards the end of the book and now I don't want it to end!! It's getting sadder as I'm reaching the last 20% of the book, and now I don't think I want to know how it ends. It can't be good. I feel weepy already, thinking of what's going to happen to these delightful seniors.

It's also a scary look into the future. But still I love these characters!

(Edited to add 9/30/17)

I just finished The Secret Diary of Hendrick Groen. Honestly, it was worth every single minute! I read the last few pages with tears in my eyes and a full heart. No matter how long it took to read it, I wouldn't change a single word. Beautifully, honestly written book with (mostly) lovable characters.

Thank you again to whoever recommended this beautiful book!

Super Contributor

@sunala  I know!! Wasn't it SO good?! It's not really my usual kind of book, but I LOVED it! 

Honored Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Colinka wrote:

"Magpie  Murders" by Anthony Horowitz. Can't put it down. English murder mystery within a mystery. Very unique format. You'll like it. Oodles of five star reviews on Goodreads.

I enjoyed it. Heard the detective is going to be a PBS series, but still waiting.

I'm puzzled as to how the detective can be a character in a  PBS series.  All of the books supposedly about this detective are non-existant--the titles and background story were made up by the author (Horowitz) to give a sense of validity to this book.

Look on the back cover fly leaf. That's where I read it. If not there, maybe in the back of the book where there are credits or more info on the author or something. You know what I mean.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, Anthony Horowitz, the man that wrote "Magpie Murders," created a show called Midsomer Murders for PBS based on another writer's mystery series.   I've seen it listed on PBS as I'm flipping channels so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone, this monthly September thread is now closed!

Please see our new October thread for more excellent books to share!