Super Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

Oooh, y'all...I just finished Fiona Barton's The Widow.  It was really good! Twisted, but good! haha

@pateacher You were right, it surely keeps you on your toes! 

Trusted Contributor

Just returned The Night She Won Miss America by Michael Callahan.

Inspired by a true story, a young woman is swept up in the glamour and excitement of chasing the title of Miss America 1950—only to vanish the night she wins.

image.png

It was a little predictable in some spots, but I like reading "historical" fiction.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read All Shall Be Well (Deborah Crombie), the 2nd in the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma Jones series.   Enjoyable.

And I finished Glass Houses (Louise Penny).  It's beautifully written.  Very much about conscience, guilt, and justice.  The plot is tightly woven.  And yet, I give it 4 or 4.5 stars.  Can't explain exactly what keeps me from giving it 5. 

I also found it interesting that parts of the quote from All Shall Be Well are repeated several times in Glass Houses:  "It is sooth that sin is cause of all this pain, But all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."

Esteemed Contributor

About 5 days ago I started reading The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen by Hendrik Groen and Hester Velmans.

I'm enjoying this book so much! I guess I'm not reading as much as I ordinarily do because the book  seems to be moving along kind of slowly, but it's still SO enjoyable, and Hendrik is a real pip, along with this friends. I love the "We're Not Dead Yet" club he belongs to.

The book also makes you think if you're getting up there in years. It takes place in a senior citizens home in the Netherlands, which has a rather different way of approaching old age.

For whoever recommended this lovely book, thank you!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala You're welcome! :-D The story did drag a bit in a couple places, but overall I think it's a GREAT read! So glad you're enjoying it. 

I'm now reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr. I listened to it on tape in the mid-90s when it was brand new but I don't remember ONE thing about it, lol. 

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22, I am about 2/3rds through GLASS HOUSES.  Reading more slowly this time of year.  More consumed with doing the Fall garden cleanup.  I'll post when I'm done.  LM

Honored Contributor

I'm reading the first Andy Carpenter novel. Does the dog go with him as he solves crimes? Because I think so far they've only mentioned her-does she get more involved? That's what I was hoping for?

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I'm reading the first Andy Carpenter novel. Does the dog go with him as he solves crimes? Because I think so far they've only mentioned her-does she get more involved? That's what I was hoping for?

@Judaline, Andy's dog Tara, as well as other dogs, features in all his books in the series, and she will never die, he has promised.  (I know that is very important to you!)  They are great books and I think the series gets better as it goes along.  He has a wonderful non-fiction book called "DOGTRIPPING" that I enjoyed as well.  I like his series books better than his stand-alone thrillers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover  hahaha Yes, you know me well. It's very important to me. And if Robert Crais ever writes a new "Maggie" book, she'd better not die. I've already written to him about this and told him we would go our separate ways if she did. I'm sure he's pondering this constantly (smile). Thanks

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  I was wondering if you had finished the book yet.  I'm looking forward to your review.  As a side note, I absolutely love the pictures of your property.  I can see you would have a lot of cleanup chores.  And it's obvious how much love you put into it.