Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

I recently finished reading Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.  It was really good and I am going to get the DVD of the HBO show from my library. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @dawg lover for the info about "Strike".  BUT, it just leads me to ask when will JK Rowling write her next book in the series!?!?

Just googled and seems like she is working on it - has a tentative title "Lethal White".  So, hopefully early next year.  FINALLY!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

The Book of Polly by Kathy Hepinstall

Book friends, this is such a good book and a surprise because it's one I just happened to see on the return cart at the library! 

Willow Havens is the 10 year old main character. Her mother had her when she was in her 50's  and Willow lives in fear her mother will die. Mother, Polly, is a cantankerous, take no prisoners Texan who lives to work in her garden, chase varmints, drink margaritas, and antagonize her neighbors! My kind of woman!

There's also the mystery of why her mother left Louisiana years ago and never returned.

@DukeBlueNan- This sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I just added it to my burgeoning list! Thanks for the heads up. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I just finished reading Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown.

Interesting thought - you think you are in a perfect marriage with a perfect child.  After your wife passes away, you find out all the dirt.  And your life was not what you thought.

Hmmm ...

@roeroe1005 I just read about this book, it sounds really good, and I am adding it to my to Read list........

Honored Contributor

@CareBears  You had me, then lost me. I dislike going back and learning about each character. I know, I know, that's how you figure out who dunnit, but I just don't like that kind of thing. There is one about WWll and girls who worked on the code machines (forget its name) and I wanted to read it but when it started going back into each girl's life, it lost me. Closed the book. I probably miss a lot of good books that way, but there are a lot of good books waiting, too! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I just finished reading Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown.

Interesting thought - you think you are in a perfect marriage with a perfect child.  After your wife passes away, you find out all the dirt.  And your life was not what you thought.

Hmmm ...

----------------

I liked the premise of the book, but didn't care for the book. Plus the title could be considered a spoiler.

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished "Midnight At  The Bright Ideas Bookstore" by Matthew Sullivan, good book if you like crime and mystery all rolled into one.  Either I am losing my edge on solving the crimes early on in the books, or the writing has just been that good, but this is the 2nd book where I have not identified who did it, until the author reveals the who and why, Quick read and I just could not put it down!

@CareBears  I just finished "Midnight At the Bright Ideas Bookstore." I picked it because of your post.  I did not identify who did it, either.  Wow! What an amazing book. It was thrilling, and I couldn't stop reading.  Thank you for recommending this book.  One of the best ones I've read in a long time.

Respected Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished "Midnight At  The Bright Ideas Bookstore" by Matthew Sullivan, good book if you like crime and mystery all rolled into one.  Either I am losing my edge on solving the crimes early on in the books, or the writing has just been that good, but this is the 2nd book where I have not identified who did it, until the author reveals the who and why, Quick read and I just could not put it down!

@CareBears  I just finished "Midnight At the Bright Ideas Bookstore." I picked it because of your post.  I did not identify who did it, either.  Wow! What an amazing book. It was thrilling, and I couldn't stop reading.  Thank you for recommending this book.  One of the best ones I've read in a long time.

@momoftwo2007and @CareBears  I just put this book on hold.  Thank you both for the recommendation.  There are 22 people ahead of me, so I guess it is popular.

Regular Contributor

I just finished reading one of the best books I've ever read - Leopard at the Door by Jennifer McVeigh.  This is her second book and it's fairly new.  Her first, The Fever Tree, came out in 2013 and I loved that too.

This new one is about the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya.  The story is absolutely fantastic and the writing is beautiful.

Respected Contributor

Watch me Disappear is a great book. Just finished it a few weeks. Lot of twists and turn, real page turner. I think I read it in two days while recovering from surgery. Five ***** book.