Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

@CareBears wrote:

@beckyb1012The right time, should be here shortly, so far plenty of positive feedback!

It is really good @CareBears.  I just got it yesterday at the library on my way home and saved it for my exercise  bike book this am.  Stopped halfway through and am not going to pick up again until the morning for next ride.  I was whipping along so fast on the book that I was shocked when I heard my neighbor start up his truck to go to work.  His leaving (still dark out) is my signal to start cooling down and finishing up.  Went by in a flash this am.  Love to exercise like that !!!!!!!!!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

THE  GOOD WIDOW, by Liz Fenton, very good plot with interesting twists.THE CUTTING ,by James Hayman, a very good mystery,it is book one of McCabe and Savage book 1. BEAUTIFUL MAIDS ALL IN A Row, byJennifer Harlow,an Iris Ballard thriller, I really enjoyed this one for some reason ,I could get her Character ,all the way through the book. I also liked THAT NIGHT,by Chevy Stevens

Super Contributor

I finished The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Jean-Dominique Bauby) a couple days ago. It was really good. Short...but good! 

I have just started Hide and Seek  by Ian Rankin, which is the second book in the Inspector Rebus series.  

Here's a snippet:

A junkie lies dead in an Edinburgh squat, spreadeagled, cross-like on the floor, between two burned-down candles, a five-pointed star daubed on the wall above.

Just another dead addict - until John Rebus begins to chip away at the indifference, treachery, deceit and sleaze that lurks behind the facade of the Edinburgh familiar to tourists.

Only Rebus seems to care about a death which looks more like a murder every day, about a seductive danger he can almost taste, appealing to the darkest corners of his mind...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears wrote:

@sunala The one teenager had a mother who was a guidance counselor at her high schol, and her step father was an employee for the gated community they lived in, YEP that was the one, I would give it 4.5 stars, only because the ending left you speculating about what really happened,  I can visualize a few endings for this book.And YES the other teenager was a nighmare to whoever corossed her!

Thanks @CareBears - that's it!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@trenet I loved the Trixie Belden books. And the Enid Blyton books. Then came Nancy Drew. Woman Wink

@Judaline

OMG .... "Trixie Belden" is a real blast from the past!   I loved her books, and they made me want to be a PI when I grew up!  lol

Honored Contributor

Well, I recently discovered the author Sandra Brown, and am now on her third mystery.   I read STING first .... then THE ALIBI .....  and am now reading CHARADE.   

I really love "who done it" books without the intense blood and gore, and practically from page 1 am theorizing who the culprit is, LOL.     Sandra has cleverly surprised me on the two books I've read .... and I'm glad she has written over 60 books so I can be enjoying her work for a long time to come!

I love to read several books from the same author in succession .... does anyone else do that?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished "Ginny Moon" by Benjamin Ludwig", good book and sad also.  The main character has Autism, and is taken away from her birth mother as her birth mother leaves her alone, and just does not give the child a safe environment.  She is adopted by a couple who have no children of their own.  Ginny is trying to reunite with her birth mother as she states over and over she need to take card of her :Baby Doll,  Ginny works with her birth mother to have her kidnapped, but their plan is unsuccessful.  But more determined than ever, Ginny and her  birth mother devise a plan to run away to Canada until the heat dies down, where they can live together as a family,  Ginny knows that she has been forbidden to speak to her birth mother, but she is very insistent that she need to take care of her baby doll.  She works with a therapist named Patrice who tries to help her with her confusion.   Her forever parents in the meantime bring home a baby girl they name Wendy but her adoptive mother refuses to let Ginny even touch the baby as she is worried about Wendy's safety.  Ginny continues to act out, and her adoptive parents look into sending Ginny to a home for wayward girl that can do harm to themselves, as they have run out of ideas to help her understand that her birth mother is not a safe person for her to be with, Ginny just does not understand?  Ginny thinks she knows what is best for her in her mind but she cannot make the adults in her life understand, the importance of caring for her Baby Doll,  It is sad because it seems throughout the whole book that Ginny's heart and mind seem to be fighting with the wrong and rights of her life, and her decisions are leading to some very destructive behaviour,

Respected Contributor

I started Finding Magic (nf) by Sally Quinn at the end of August and finished it in the beginning of September which tells you that it was a deep book and it took me longer than usual to read it.  I'm not deep into religion or faith but this was an interesting book to say the least. 

Next book is a lighter read by Jenny Fran Davis -- Everything Must Go.  Don't know what I was thinking and should have done more research but it's YA sort of which I only read occasionally.  I'll give it a chance.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Yes, I do that. I discovered the author Dennis Lehane and loved his Patrick Kenzie detective series. But they suddenly ended after about five novels. He then started stand alone novels which I am not going to read. Also read all the Elvis Cole (Robert Crais) mysteries. I guess these and the Stephanie Plum books are my favorites. Have read them all from #1.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Yes, I do that. I discovered the author Dennis Lehane and loved his Patrick Kenzie detective series. But they suddenly ended after about five novels. He then started stand alone novels which I am not going to read. Also read all the Elvis Cole (Robert Crais) mysteries. I guess these and the Stephanie Plum books are my favorites. Have read them all from #1.

@Judaline

Oh gee .... when I started Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, I thought I'd really hit the mother lode of fun mysteries.  By the time she hit number 20 in that series, I thought she was phoning it in, if you know what I mean.  

Since you're a Stephanie Plum fan, I have to ask .....  Morelli or Ranger?   lol