Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

@Catty2 wrote:

I just finished Surfside Sisters by Nancy Thayer.  It's about two girls who both want to be authors when they grow up.  It takes place in Nantucket.  As they grow up things happen with family, friends, boyfriends and what drives them apart.  I've read many of her books and they are always good. 

@Catty2

I need to catch up with her books.  I just got The Island House in a book swap.  I enjoy her books so much.  I miss her Hot Flash series.

Trusted Contributor

We just read "After the Eclipse" by Sarah Perry for our book club and we all really liked it.  It's about a true story of a murder in Maine, told through the eyes of the daughter.  I would highly recommend it.

Respected Contributor

Just finished a speechless work of art I think everyone should read.

8E60EDF1-999C-490F-9FD0-35E80609B5A2.jpeg

[ Edited ]

Also read Educated.  Got this book to read from the cruise ship library.  Glad I didn't pay for it.  Too hard to believe.

Respected Contributor

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead is my latest read; this is the first of his books I have read.  He has a unique style of writing; he can really turn a phrase.  Sometimes I would go back and reread a sentence to make sure I was getting the meaning he wanted to get across.  The story itself is powerful.  Sad to say, it's a story of those in a dominant position exerting their power over the weaker and vulnerable.  Emotionally it is difficult to read.  It is powerful though.  I highly recommend this book.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Lady Gold Investigates, Volume 2, by Lee Strauss.  This was two novellas based in the 1920s.  Fast and easy reads.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Since my last Audible narrator was less than compelling, I wanted something a little more tried and true. Just finished listening to Yangsze Choo’s The Ghost Bride.  I didn’t enjoy it as much as The Night Tiger, but I did like how different it was from what I usually read.  Similar to her latest novel, Choo’s debut takes place in the late 1890’s in Colonial Malaysia.  It’s also full of myths and folklore, but a bit more...spiritual. And I would probably listen to Yangsze Choo read the phone book; she has a beautiful voice!

I’m listening next to The Butterfly Girl - the second book in a series that I didn’t know was going to be a series when I read the first book!!  I admit I didn’t remember some of the main character’s backstory, but that’s just really filler. I think the author writes beautifully, even though she writes about some difficult subjects.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom   although I don't consider this a horror story I have about 200 more pages to go.  I really did not remember anything from reading it 40 years ago. It is a classic story about good vs evil but isn't that what most stories are whether in books, movies or tv.  I think the book  is interesting in reference to current world situations.

..."we didn't start the fire"...

from Wikipedia...

The Stand is a postapocalyptic horror/fantasy novel by American author Stephen King. It expands upon the scenario of his earlier short story "Night Surf", and presents a detailed vision of the total breakdown of society after the accidental release of a strain of influenza that had been modified for biological warfare causes an apocalyptic pandemic, killing off over 99% of the world's population. Published in 1978, The Stand is the fourth and longest novel King published.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today I finished Met Her Match by Jude Deveraux, published last month.  I usually like books by this author, but I didn't like this one.  The main female character is helping run the family lake resort.  The main male character moves into her house (without her knowing it would happen) for what was supposed to be two weeks.  He is engaged, but of course they are immediately very attracted to each other.

I think it would have been a better book if solving the mystery of the disappearance of her mother had been a bigger part.  Instead it was just kind of thrown in at the end.  And lots of secrets leftover from high school are still being dwelled on 15-20 years later.  I thought that was overplayed.  

This book has gotten many good reviews on Amazon, but I don't recommend it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@avid shopper , thank you.  On the list TBR.  LM