Super Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi.   It's about a Nigerian girl with mulitple personalities & mixed with Nigerian myths.  It took me a while to understand it but once I did, I loved it  Very different.

Heavy by Kiese Laymon.  This is a memoir.  I don't usually read memoirs but I'm giving this a try.

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost.   (audio) This is my first paranormal fantasy book.  It was fun.  If you like Paranormal fantasy with some smut, you'll enjoy it.  

Wundersmith, The calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend.  Book 2 of the series.  Middlegrade.  I inhaled this book.  I hope the library gets book 3 soon.  

An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen.  I liked their first book so I hope this one is good.

Dust by Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor.  I have no idea what this is about. I just picked it up.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

PTB on Brian Platzer's Body Politic.  I didn't get it at all.  It was a GR win too.

Onto After Anna by Lisa Scottoline.  She's always a good read.  I think there was only one by her that I didn't like.

Trusted Contributor

Re-reading "The Stand"  1978 - Stephen King.  There is a new CBS All Access production coming out which prompted me to read this again after 40 years.  I have always loved SK while this book is 800+ pages I am zipping thru.  Try to read a little every day. 

Trusted Contributor

Yesterday I started book 1 in the Midnight Louis mystery series by Carole Nelson Douglas. The book is Catnap. I figured since this series has over 20 books in it, I should try it. This book annoyed me so much that I didn't finish it and canceled the library request for next in the series. The main character wasn't interesting, the chapters being told by the cat were just too fake cute for me, too many random characters added that I just didn't care what happened. This was the 1st book in a long time that I just gave up and didn't even both to check the ending to see who was the killer. 

Honored Contributor

The Dark Side, by Danielle Steel

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I went to the library today, and picked up four new books that I am excited to read:

"MUMBO GUMBO MURDER" by Laura Childs (the latest in her New Orleans Scrapbooking cozy mystery series)

"DACHSHUND THROUGH THE SNOW" by David Rosenfelt (a new holiday book in his Andy Carpenter mystery series)

"THE LYING ROOM" by Nicci French (a stand-alone thriller)

"THE SHAPE OF NIGHT" by Tess Gerritsen (a stand-alone thriller by the author of the Rizzoli and Isles series)

Respected Contributor

I love this thread.....I get so many good book ideas from it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished The Ladies of Ivy Cottage by Julie Klassen another book I enjoyed!  

Next up The Mother's Promise by Sally Hepworth, will post my final review when I finish!

Respected Contributor

I just finished Surfside Sisters by Nancy Thayer.  It's about two girls who both want to be authors when they grow up.  It takes place in Nantucket.  As they grow up things happen with family, friends, boyfriends and what drives them apart.  I've read many of her books and they are always good. 

Esteemed Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Re-reading "The Stand"  1978 - Stephen King.  There is a new CBS All Access production coming out which prompted me to read this again after 40 years.  I have always loved SK while this book is 800+ pages I am zipping thru.  Try to read a little every day. 

@avid shopper , is this a horror story?  If not, will add to my TBR read.  LM