Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks, I had no idea what to expect, to be truthful I thought it would be a fluff book, but to my surprise it was a story full of depth, I enjoyed it very much!

Next up A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy, as always I will post my review when I finish!

I really liked A Week in Winter. I didn't think I'd like it at first but I kept on and really liked it. Maeve Binchy-what's not to like? I loved how she tied it all together at the end. No easy task, but for her it was duck soup!

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline  So far I am enjoying it, I love Irish books!

Respected Contributor

I finished The Escape Room (Megan Goldin).  It was so much better than I thought initially.  Very well crafted thriller.  I really enjoyed reading it.  @CareBears   you were right about this one!     

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. It's 1922 and Count Alexander Rostov is sentenced to house arrest for being a "unrepentent aristocrat" during the Bolshevik tribunal.  His living area is a small attic room, and the story describes how he adjusts to this and to the events unfolding around him. 

This is a very good book. The author has wonderful descriptions and introduces a cast of interesting characters throughout the novel. I see why this book was given so many great reviews. Highly recommended.

Again!! I'm in the minority on this book.  Read about 50 pages and gave up.  Boring!

@kaydee50- me too. Boring!!

But, I may try it again another time. So many people loved it, I can try one more time.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Finished Its Always The Husband, it was really good. On to LOCK EVERY DOOR, by Riley Sager, hope its not too spooky......

@CANDLEQUEEN- I reallly enjoyed Lock Every Door. Some of it didn't make a whole lot of sense but it all came together. I loved the ending.

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Finished- LOCK EVERY DOOR and it was really really good, and not at all like I expected.......I am now starting on WORSE CASE by James Patterson........

I would love to read more books by Riley Sager.... 

@CANDLEQUEEN- I agree. I liked Riley Sager's style of writing. Did you know he is a he and not a she? I really thought it was written by a woman, and his name sounded like a woman's as well. I never could have guessed the ending; could you?

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

Today I finished The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.  I enjoyed the book but can somebody who has read it give me their interpretation of the ending.  If so, please do a Spoiler Alert.  I still haven't figured it out and may reread the last third of the book.

@Catty2- I know I read it but I don't remember it at all. I can't even remember if I liked it or not. If you post a few clues maybe I can help you.

Esteemed Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

I finished A Single Thread (Tracy Chevalier)

I didn't like this book as well as some of her others. IMO predictable ending.

I"ve begun The Master Butchers Singing Club (Louise Erdrich)

AMAZON BLURB:

Having survived World War I, Fidelis Waldvogel returns to his quiet German village and marries the pregnant widow of his best friend, killed in action. With a suitcase full of sausages and a master butcher's precious knife set, Fidelis sets out for America. In Argus, North Dakota, he builds a business, a home for his family—which includes Eva and four sons—and a singing club consisting of the best voices in town. When the Old World meets the New—in the person of Delphine Watzka—the great adventure of Fidelis's life begins. Delphine meets Eva and is enchanted. She meets Fidelis, and the ground trembles. These momentous encounters will determine the course of Delphine's life, and the trajectory of this brilliant novel.

@pateacher- this sounds good. Another book to add to my forever-growing list!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night I finished A week in winter by Maeve Binchy, I really enjoyed this book!  It was full of colorful characters, I found myself Laughing, tearing up, and wanting to slap one  of the characters, a full range of emotions!  I do know that some day I would like to go to Ireland, after reading this book even more so!

Next up. Never, Never by James Patterson, will post my review when I finish!

Valued Contributor

I finally finished THE CHESTNUT MAN, really enjoyed the book. Once I got into it, the writer writes a bit different, one chapter will be about this, next chapter someone will be doing something and I thought I missed something. The book took longer to read as hubby's job issues took center.! The first part is slower then wham it really gets going and you don't know who did it,You can guess but  you will be wrong! I really love books that I can't figure out. So much more fun!