Valued Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

@BirkiLady  I read   Sheris newest book when it 1st came out, I loved it! I posted how much I enjoyed it. All her books are great!

Trusted Contributor

I'm about halfway through "Remember Mia" by Alexandra Burt and it is sooo good!
Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to The Library of the Unwritten by A.J. Hackwith, the first book in a new fantasy series.  When is a book considered YA?  Does the main character need to be young?  Because I'm guessing the only thing keeping this out of the YA genre are older characters (there is one teen.). Regardless, I enjoyed venturing into Hell's library as we follow the head librarian of the unwritten wing into searching for a character that has escaped his book!  But, something else happens...

Great characters and dialogue. Will look forward to the next book, although I'm not sure how they can follow up.

** Since it's the 15th of the month, I wanted to give a shoutout to whomever introduced me to Library Reads.  I look forward to my email every month and have already preordered some books from the November list. 😊

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I finished listening to The Library of the Unwritten by A.J. Hackwith, the first book in a new fantasy series.  When is a book considered YA?  Does the main character need to be young?  Because I'm guessing the only thing keeping this out of the YA genre are older characters (there is one teen.). Regardless, I enjoyed venturing into Hell's library as we follow the head librarian of the unwritten wing into searching for a character that has escaped his book!  But, something else happens...

Great characters and dialogue. Will look forward to the next book, although I'm not sure how they can follow up.

** Since it's the 15th of the month, I wanted to give a shoutout to whomever introduced me to Library Reads.  I look forward to my email every month and have already preordered some books from the November list. 😊

I saw this book and was wondering if it would be interesting for an adult. I'm so happy to read your review. I will go back and look into reading it in the future. Thank you for the review.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

I read Antiques Disposal by Barbara Allen. This is one of my favorite cozy series. Probably because I love the dog named Sushi.

I also read book four of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire by J. K. Rowling. I am enjoying this series so much. My granddaughter always asks me which book I am on so she can talk about it with me. They are worth reading for that reason alone, but I also think they are excellent stories.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

Finished:

Murder at Archly Manor, by Sara Rosett. I got this cozy mystery free on my Kindle from Freebooksy and it was very enjoyable.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle. I have the 60+ hour complete Sherlock Holmes collection narrated by Stephen Fry on Audible and he has been delightful. My favorites short stories from this collection were A Scandal in BohemiaThe Red-Headed League, and The Adventure of the Speckled Band.

Reading:

Flat Crazy, by Beb Rehder. This is #3 in the Blanco County Mysteries and I enjoy the characters and Rehder's sense of humor.

Carmilla, by J. Sheridan Le Fanu. This is the dramatized Audible original and one of the first vampire stories, predating Stoker's Dracula.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 3/4’s through New Iberia Blues by James Lee Burke.  It is long, almost 700 pages.  I found it too long in the first half but the second half is better.  We have a nor’easter today and will probably lose power so a good day to finish up.  150 pages to go... LM

PS, I finished today.  Next I went to The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager.  Goodreads rates this one over 4 out of 5.  What a contrast in writing styles.  I am almost skipping over pages as it seems almost like fluff after James Lee Burke.

Has anyone had that happen?  Disconcerting, but I will keep up with Riley Sager.

Honored Contributor

Met Her Match, by Jude Deveraux.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

My goodness, five new books came in at the same time for me, at the library:

THE 19TH CHRISTMAS by James Patterson (Women's Murder Club series)

CHILD'S PLAY by Danielle Steel

TH1RT3EN by Steve Cavanagh (a thriller recommended on this thread)

SOMEONE WE KNOW by Shari LaPena (thriller)

CATCH AND KILL by Ronan Farrow (non-fiction investigative book)

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom 

Earlier I posted that I read Riley Sager's Final Girls and was underwhelmed.  There are better thrillers out there.