Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

@Catty2, I read the series a while back and I remember how much I enjoyed each book! I second your recommendation and wish you more enjoyable reading ahead!📖
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hooked on books 

I'm going to request the 3rd and 4th books in this series from the library.  Summer of '69 was the first book of hers that I read so I searched for more of her books and came across this series.  Happy Reading to you too! 

Super Contributor

I finished reading Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt.  Loved it and will read more in the Andy Carpenter Series.  Currently reading Man Overboard by J. A. Jance. Jance is always good.

Honored Contributor

@onliner wrote:

I finished reading Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt.  Loved it and will read more in the Andy Carpenter Series.  Currently reading Man Overboard by J. A. Jance. Jance is always good.

@onliner   Open and Shut was good. I like the Andy Carpenter series.

Respected Contributor

Just finished Amanda Eyre Ward's The Jetsetters.  To me, it was a "poor" interpretation of The Floating Feldmans which I adored.  Another dysfunctional family but sadder.

Valued Contributor

I am reading A Single Thread  by Tracy Chevalier. 

Super Contributor

Rosewater (A Wormwood Trilogy) BK 1 (sci-fi), by Tade Thompson

We Never asked for Wings, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. (fiction)

Respected Contributor

I read The Chain (Adrian McKinty).  The first part was really good.  It was a page turner and I was eager to find out the motive for "the chain."  I was hoping it would be something elaborate and creative.  Well, that turned out to be a huge disappointment (it was something very ordinary and overused). And the last couple of chapters were kind of silly.  A very mixed review from me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult as some of you know she writes very controversial books, this was no exception, in areas it was difficult to read, and I did the ugly cry in one section of the book. but the author did an excellent job of showing each side of this subject, and dids a wonderful job of building the characters, to feel their emotions, and try to see how they arrived at their decision.  I enjoyed it, even though it was hard to read.

Next up The Dark Side by Danielle Steel will post my final review when I finish!

Trusted Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

@Lilysmom   although I don't consider this a horror story I have about 200 more pages to go.  I really did not remember anything from reading it 40 years ago. It is a classic story about good vs evil but isn't that what most stories are whether in books, movies or tv.  I think the book  is interesting in reference to current world situations.

..."we didn't start the fire"...

from Wikipedia...

The Stand is a postapocalyptic horror/fantasy novel by American author Stephen King. It expands upon the scenario of his earlier short story "Night Surf", and presents a detailed vision of the total breakdown of society after the accidental release of a strain of influenza that had been modified for biological warfare causes an apocalyptic pandemic, killing off over 99% of the world's population. Published in 1978, The Stand is the fourth and longest novel King published.

@avid shopper wrote:

@Lilysmom   although I don't consider this a horror story I have about 200 more pages to go.  I really did not remember anything from reading it 40 years ago. It is a classic story about good vs evil but isn't that what most stories are whether in books, movies or tv.  I think the book  is interesting in reference to current world situations.

..."we didn't start the fire"...

from Wikipedia...

The Stand is a postapocalyptic horror/fantasy novel by American author Stephen King. It expands upon the scenario of his earlier short story "Night Surf", and presents a detailed vision of the total breakdown of society after the accidental release of a strain of influenza that had been modified for biological warfare causes an apocalyptic pandemic, killing off over 99% of the world's population. Published in 1978, The Stand is the fourth and longest novel King published.

It's been a really long time since I read this, but I remember the part about the survivors going through one of the NY tunnels (i think) and it scared me to death.  So graphic and vivid.  I'm a Stephen King fan, mostly his earilier works.  Maybe I'll reread The Stand.