Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

@Janey2 wrote:

GIRLS LIKE US  Cristina Alger

THE NANNY  Gilly Macmillan

29 SECONDS  T.M. Logan

VANISHING GIRLS  Lisa Regan

THE PERFECT SON  Lauren North

AKIN  Emma Donoghue

@Janey2 - would you please let us know what you thought about "29 Seconds"?  I am on a library wait list for that book.

Trusted Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

just finished reading Tess Gerritsens latest,THE SHAPE OF NIGHT and only finished it because I paid for it. What a horrible read,so disappointed as I always enjoy her work. 

Now reading IMAGINARY FREND by Stephen Chbosky a very good suspense. Good read.

@Epicurean - I agree with you.  I was disappointed in it and would not recommend it.  I thought it was silly too.  The heroine falls in love with a handsome sea captain ghost, who seems to have read "50 Shades of Grey", if you know what I mean.

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  I thought this was a real page turner. The author creates a what would you do story line. There are a couple of twists to the story. I recommend it. I do wish the main character was stronger, but I could understand why she wasn’t. I also enjoyed LIES by the same author.

Honored Contributor

No Judgments, by Meg Cabot;

The Tinderbox, by Beverly Lewis.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Kathi Daley's The Inn At Holiday Bay:  Pilgrim in the Parlor.  This is a really good mystery series, as are most of Daley's books.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. It's 1922 and Count Alexander Rostov is sentenced to house arrest for being a "unrepentent aristocrat" during the Bolshevik tribunal.  His living area is a small attic room, and the story describes how he adjusts to this and to the events unfolding around him. 

This is a very good book. The author has wonderful descriptions and introduces a cast of interesting characters throughout the novel. I see why this book was given so many great reviews. Highly recommended.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished She was the quiet one by Michele Campbell, wow what an ending, I enjoyed this book very much!  You have to ask yourself Do we really know anyone?

Next up The Suspect by Fionna Barton, will post my final review when I finish!

Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. It's 1922 and Count Alexander Rostov is sentenced to house arrest for being a "unrepentent aristocrat" during the Bolshevik tribunal.  His living area is a small attic room, and the story describes how he adjusts to this and to the events unfolding around him. 

This is a very good book. The author has wonderful descriptions and introduces a cast of interesting characters throughout the novel. I see why this book was given so many great reviews. Highly recommended.

As so many others here, I also loved this book.  @teganslaw  You've given a great description of it.  I love the complexity of the characters and the plot and it has one of the best endings I've ever read.

Respected Contributor

I finished The Dutch House (Ann Patchett) and loved it.  The characters were so well drawn, I felt like I knew them.  I'm not usually a fan of family sagas but this one kept me engrossed all the way through.  Five stars from me.  I don't do audible but I've read so many comments that the audio is even better since it's narrated by Tom Hanks.  

Respected Contributor

Finished My Blue by Emery Jacobs in almost a day.  It's been a while since I finished a book that fast in a long time.  A sweet love story.