Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

@TurnerGal wrote:

We just read "After the Eclipse" by Sarah Perry for our book club and we all really liked it.  It's about a true story of a murder in Maine, told through the eyes of the daughter.  I would highly recommend it.

Thanks for recommending this book. I just borrowed it from the library & am eager to get started!

Esteemed Contributor

I read Lock Every Door by Riley Sager. It was pretty good and I have to admit I didn't figure out what was going to happen until it actually happened. I read the reviews when I was finished, and so many readers said they figured out what was going on early in the book.  Not me!

I'm not sure what I'll read next. I have so many books that I got from the my e-library and they're all going to be due to expire shortly. I'd better get busy.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@SWEET 

Sorry, I accidentally posted on September and I lost my post to you somehow.

To find your reviewer rank (and other ranks, I forget what they are becaues my other one fell off this week LOL):  look at your profile page.  They re-rank every week.

Also under your Friends on your Profile page you will find the number of people following you.

I just got rid of over 20 friends.  It means my reviews won't get pride of place but it was making me unhappy. 

I will from now on (and went through my list dropping people) choose friends more carefully and with few exceptions don't want anyone with thousands of friends,  Then I can't see my own friends' stuff for theirs.

@LoriLoriI don't see my ranking on my profile page.  Oh well.  I do know where to look to see who's following me though. 

I hardly drop friends but once in a while I do so for no good reason.  LOL.  What bugs me is that people like and like reviews over and over again on the same book and it drives me nuts. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Mothers Promise, by Sally Hepworth, it was very good, sad but eye opening as well!

Next up She Was the Quiet One by Michele Campbell, will post my review when I finish!

Respected Contributor

GIRLS LIKE US  Cristina Alger

THE NANNY  Gilly Macmillan

29 SECONDS  T.M. Logan

VANISHING GIRLS  Lisa Regan

THE PERFECT SON  Lauren North

AKIN  Emma Donoghue

Respected Contributor

Finished After Anna by Lisa Scottoline.  Her stand alone books aren't as good as her series and almost didn't finish it but glad I did.

Honored Contributor

Got a book about Mrs. Simpson and Edward (letters).  Book sale at library today.  I got a couple of others, oh on Laura Ingalls Wilder. One called THE WISDOM OF JOHN AND ABIGAIL ADAMS and one by Bob Newhart I SHOULDN'T EVEN BE DOING THIS!  So I got a coverage of interest here.  This first one, I'm interested in, The Royals. 

Honored Contributor

Two books ... one fairly new and old from quite a few years ago.  Both of these books are for readers who like to "read and ponder" what they read ... my favorite way to read.  For some books, I keep written notes.

1.  Chance of the Dance:  A Critique of Modern Secularism by Thomass Howard.  (Second Edition).  I donated my 1990s copy to our Church library and downloaded the Kindle edition.

I read the 1969 First Edition back in the 1970s.  I read it again in the 1990s.  Now, I'm reading the Second Edition.  The blurb at Amazon explains it best:

Howard explains in clear and beautiful prose the way materialism robs us of beauty, depth, and truth. With laser precision and lyrical ponderings he takes us through the dismal reductionist view of the world to the shimmering significance of the world as sign and sacrament. More timely now than when it was first written, this book is a prophetic examination of modern society's conscience.

2.  In Sinu Jesu:  When Heart Speaks to Heart --- The Journal of a Priest at Prayer.  I'm reading the Kindle edition ... it's so good, I went and bought a hard copy for the Church library.  

From Amazon:  

Given the harmony of its content with the teaching of Sacred Scripture, Catholic Tradition, and well-known works of the mystics, it is eminently fitting that In Sinu Jesu be published in full at this time (it has been granted the imprimatur). Passages from this journal have already influenced the spiritual lives of priests, religious, and laymen—may it now give light and warmth, consolation and renewed conviction, to readers throughout the world.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to The Butterfly Girl by Rene Denfeld.  This is the 2nd in a series and the first, The Child Finder, was a surprise - eerie and atmospheric as the protagonist searches for a missing girl. This wasn’t as good, but I still liked it. Focused on missing homeless girls as the main character also searches for her own sister. I suppose I wonder if it may read a bit more pretentious, as the writing can lean a bit towards the poetic.  I would still recommend the first book in the series and the second if you liked the first.

My next few Audibles appear to lean towards the supernatural, which I guess fits in with the month.  I will soon be starting The Library of the Unwritten, which is apparently the first in a new series.

Esteemed Contributor

1. Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson (4+ Stars)

Excellent thriller! Betrayal, deception, temptation, love, filled with dark twists and turns. Didn't see all of the secrets coming! Recommend this book.

2. Normal People by Sally Rooney (4 Stars)

A coming-of-age story of two teens; both are very intelligent. Connell is popular, well-adjusted, loved and HS football star. Marianne is lonely, proud, private and introverted. Later, they both attend Trinity College in Dublin. Marianne has become a social butterfly, but Connell is shy and uncertain in the bigger world. Throughout their years at university, Connell and Marianne have a unique friendship but both delve into other relationships. They seem to return to each other as if magnetically drawn back together. As she veers into self-destructive behavior and he begins to search for meaning elsewhere, each must confront how far they are willing to go to save the other. The novel explores psychological acuity of the subtleties of class, money, first love, and the complexities of family and friendship. Very good book!

3. Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende 

Tried and tried to wade through this book. It certainly isn't one of Isabel Allende's better books IMO and I finally cast it aside as a disappointment. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.