Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

@avid shopper wrote:

Re-reading "The Stand"  1978 - Stephen King.  There is a new CBS All Access production coming out which prompted me to read this again after 40 years.  I have always loved SK while this book is 800+ pages I am zipping thru.  Try to read a little every day. 

@avid shopper 

I watched the television series. (LOVED) However, I never read the book. I just checked my library and I guess the book is too old. No copies available.  I am thinking about putting this on my Kindle for when I leave for vacation next year. 

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus @avid shopper , a great idea for vacation reading, especially if you are travelling.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@icezeus There are some copies on EBAY.  Make sure you get the one published in 1980 and that the seller states all pages are intact.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Stand-by-Stephen-King/372723942875?epid=163806&hash=item56c81405db:g:tX...

Honored Contributor

The Perfect Wife, by J.P. Delaney

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I've had a crazy summer and haven't been on our Book Club Forum since the middle of August, but I've just finished a book I really enjoyed.  It's non-fiction -- The Library Book by Susan Orlean.  It's about a fire that destroyed millions of books (and other collections) in the Los Angeles Main Library in April 1986.  You may not remember it from the news because it was pushed aside -- even in LA -- by Chernobyl.

As the author weaves together the fire, how they saved what they could, the efforts to find the arsonist, and the reactions of the library staff to their losses, she also tells about the history of libraries, quirky librarians, and what libraries mean in our lives.  Orlean is a great storyteller and an elegant writer.  If you're a book lover, you'll love this book. 

Trusted Contributor

just finished reading Tess Gerritsens latest,THE SHAPE OF NIGHT and only finished it because I paid for it. What a horrible read,so disappointed as I always enjoy her work. 

Now reading IMAGINARY FREND by Stephen Chbosky a very good suspense. Good read.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@LoriLori 

I am actually going on vacation to Australia for two weeks next year. I will make sure to read the book before I leave. 

@icezeus   There's some fantastic writing coming out of Australia now so maybe pop into a bookstore if you can?  (Take a break from the giant spiders? OMG you brave woman) and get something that won't be published here for another year or two.  I have some Aussie friends on GR and they're reading great stuff, all kinds of genres, that won't be out here until...?

@LoriLori 

I am such a sissy girl when it comes to rodents (ick), spiders (yikes) or Snakes (heart failure). I will be going when it's their fall season. Instead of summer which is very hot, and from what I hear the snakes really come out.  My first week I will be in Melbourne and staying in a high-rise apartment (VRBO) 40th floor, so I am hoping that the critters will be kept at bay.

My second week will be at a resort (time-Share) and it's also a high rise. Please God do not let me see anything that my eyes can't unsee. Other than that, I love to do different activities  while I am on vacation and will attempt several in Australia. 

@icezeus  

Sorry  if I triggered you!!!

(I triggered myself but that doesn't give me a pass!)

Sounds wonderful.  Better be wonderful!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

This is in response to your post in September (just catching up):

"I finished A Night of Miracles  by Elizabeth Berg. It's the sequel to The Story of Arthur Truluv, which was excellent.  

The book was very good, and though I liked Arthur Truluv, slightly better, I recommend A Night of Miracles.  It continues the story of the people in the first book."

#3 in the series, The Confession Club, will be published on November 19th.  I loved it!  So relaxing and enjoyable.

Honored Contributor

Reading This Much Country by Kristin Pace Knight.

She was one of the first women to run the Iditarod.  She writes beautifully of things like the northern lights and alpenglow and while I'm not a dog person I'm in love with some of the sled dogs. 

It's fast-paced and a pleasure because from a young age, with help from her parents, she was very resourceful and challenging herself in nature and throughout gets herself out of so many scrapes and situations. 

She's a strong and darling woman and it's WONDERFUL to read a memoir by a very good writer who had a happy childhood, loving parents and siblings and has a great attitude toward life!

Also reading Dead Girls by Abigail Tarttelin which was a bestseller in Europe and being published here next week I think.  Mystery with supernatural elements.

And not sure if I mentioned One Star Review by R.E. Sargent, a Kindle-only novella inspired by the true story of Kathleen Hale, reputably-published author who lost it and stalked a reviewer who gave her one star. 

In Sargent's version she's a serial killer going after everyone who gives her one star.  It's fun!  Can't stand the Kindle but loved this and he just released a prequel.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET 

Sorry, I accidentally posted on September and I lost my post to you somehow.

To find your reviewer rank (and other ranks, I forget what they are becaues my other one fell off this week LOL):  look at your profile page.  They re-rank every week.

Also under your Friends on your Profile page you will find the number of people following you.

I just got rid of over 20 friends.  It means my reviews won't get pride of place but it was making me unhappy. 

I will from now on (and went through my list dropping people) choose friends more carefully and with few exceptions don't want anyone with thousands of friends,  Then I can't see my own friends' stuff for theirs.