Esteemed Contributor

WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

[ Edited ]

Happy October to all our readers. It's my favorite month and I hope to find several great books to add to my list. I hope you all do too.

Please post what you're reading, what you liked and what you didn't, and share them with us so we can enjoy them too.

Happy Reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Regular Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

I'm just finishing up THe Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo - I like it but don't love it.

And......hot off the press......Ann Cleeves' new one The Long Call is waiting for me!

And I really enjoyed The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See.  Loved it!

Frequent Contributor

Picked up a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. Saw the Broadway show recently and realized I never really read the whole book 40 years ago when it was assigned reading in high school. Wish me luck!

Respected Contributor

I'm reading Educated for our bookclub right now.  I just finished part 1 of the book.  I know this book has had rave reviews, but I am finding it hard to believe.  Without giving too much away, in part 1 there are some major things that happen and then the author says, so and so, (who was a big part of what happened) doesn't remember being there.  I find it hard to believe that if I saw something major happen, I wouldn't remember that I was there 15 years later.

I'm hoping the book gets better in Parts 2 and 3.

Honored Contributor

@mary0129 wrote:

Picked up a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. Saw the Broadway show recently and realized I never really read the whole book 40 years ago when it was assigned reading in high school. Wish me luck!

I recently reread this book.  It is better than I remembered--when I had to read it-- and it deservedly is considered a classic.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

I'm reading Educated for our bookclub right now.  I just finished part 1 of the book.  I know this book has had rave reviews, but I am finding it hard to believe.  Without giving too much away, in part 1 there are some major things that happen and then the author says, so and so, (who was a big part of what happened) doesn't remember being there.  I find it hard to believe that if I saw something major happen, I wouldn't remember that I was there 15 years later.

I am in the minority on this book because I did not like it at all and did not finish it.  Sorry to say that, IMO, it does not get better.  Agree with you that I found much of it hard to believe.  Won't go into details but to say that this is a "dysfunctional" family, is an understatement!

Respected Contributor

I'm reading Dean Koontz SOLE SURVIVOR, half way through it....it's a fast entertaining and intriguiging read. 
If you like mystery reads - this one is a gem.

Trusted Contributor

I just finished A Merciful Promise by Kendra Elliot.  This is the 6th and last book in the Mercy Kilpatrick FBI mystery series. It does wrap up the storyline nicely. Per the author's note at the end, she states the main characters may pop up again in one of her other series. This book did start to drag at the end when the author seemed to drag out the drama longer than needed. This book seemed more predictable than the earlier books so maybe it was time to wrap up the series if the author wasn't feeling the creative vibe anymore for the story.  Overall I did enjoy the series. 

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Travone wrote:

I am in the minority on this book because I did not like it at all and did not finish it.  Sorry to say that, IMO, it does not get better.  Agree with you that I found much of it hard to believe.  Won't go into details but to say that this is a "dysfunctional" family, is an understatement!

I am in the minority also.  I really disliked this book and found no point to it.    

Respected Contributor

I'm now reading The Dutch House (Ann Patchett).  I'm at about 25% and like it so far.