Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2018

@SparklesMcGee@sunala, what a review on Goodreads for Shadow of the Wind.  Definitely on the list!  Thanks.  LM

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

I just finished The Banker's Wife by Christina Alger. It was pretty good. I really enjoyed the ending, which I thought was better than the book itself.

Endings are very important to me!

I'm now reading The Wartime Sisters by Lynda Cohen Loigman. I'm enjoying it very much. It's like I fell into it after reading the first page.  I got it from netgalley and it will be released in January 2019.

Glad you got your hands on The Wartime Sisters. I finished that book about a week ago and loved it just as much as her first one!

@SWEET- I started reading it this morning and if I didn't have things to do today, I would be finished reading it by now. I am loving it so much it's almost painful to walk away from it.

I wonder if the author has problems with her sister, if she has one in real life. Two books so far about sibling rivalry between sisters. Very interesting.

Glad you are enjoying it.  I know that the author is on Goodreads and I have seen her answer questions.  It's worth a try if you're interested in knowing.

Did you read her first one The Two-Family House?  I can't recall if you told me this previously.  I gave that one 5 stars on GR and only 4 for The Wartime Sisters for some unknown reason!

Trusted Contributor

Mountain-climbing-disaster books. They give me bad dreams but I just can't not read them.

Respected Contributor

@SparklesMcGee  I loved Shadow of the Wind.  I read the 2nd one and it didn't have the same impact to me.  The 3rd one is supposed to be as good as the first.  I didn't know there were four.  Glad you're enjoying it.  I feel like I need to read it again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

I just finished The Banker's Wife by Christina Alger. It was pretty good. I really enjoyed the ending, which I thought was better than the book itself.

Endings are very important to me!

I'm now reading The Wartime Sisters by Lynda Cohen Loigman. I'm enjoying it very much. It's like I fell into it after reading the first page.  I got it from netgalley and it will be released in January 2019.

Glad you got your hands on The Wartime Sisters. I finished that book about a week ago and loved it just as much as her first one!

@SWEET- I started reading it this morning and if I didn't have things to do today, I would be finished reading it by now. I am loving it so much it's almost painful to walk away from it.

I wonder if the author has problems with her sister, if she has one in real life. Two books so far about sibling rivalry between sisters. Very interesting.

Glad you are enjoying it.  I know that the author is on Goodreads and I have seen her answer questions.  It's worth a try if you're interested in knowing.

Did you read her first one The Two-Family House?  I can't recall if you told me this previously.  I gave that one 5 stars on GR and only 4 for The Wartime Sisters for some unknown reason!

@SWEET- oh yes I sure did read The Two Family House! It was a book I fell into from page one, just like this one. This is why I mentioned the sibling rivalry that occurs in both books, and wonder if the author has a problem with her sister (if she has one). I could read books like this all day!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Finished Linda Smolkin's The Secret We Lost and onto Liz Johnson's A Sparkle of Silver.  

Respected Contributor

The last 3 books I started I sent back to the library.  Just couldn't get into them.  Now I'm reading Hidden Depths, the 3rd Vera Stanhope (Ann Cleeves).  The 2nd one is still on waitlist.  Hopefully reading them out of order won't make that much difference.  I'm about 25% in and I like it so far.

Esteemed Contributor

Last night I finally finished Caught In Time by Julie Mcelwain, I really enjoyed this book and eventually will read her other two books.  I loved her descriptions about the era the main character traveled in time back to, it is a time travel book/murder mystery and held my attention the entire time!

Next up Lunch at the Beach House Hotel by Judith Keim, i am reading the series and have 2 left, I enjoy her books!

Regular Contributor

I finished a whole bunch!

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - it was a great read!

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith - I am not sure why I waited so long to read this. I definitely am not missing out on the rest!

Half the Sun: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof - I have been meaning to read this for some time, too. It was mentioned on a favorite podcast, so I picked it up and before I knew it, I was closing the cover because I finished it.

Dating You/Hating You by Christina Lauren - workplace romance novel - it was just ok

Sprinkle With Murder - book 1 in a cozy mystery series by Jenn McKinlay. It was short and fun and it has recipes! Unfortunately, my library doesn't have the rest of them, so off to the used bookstore I go.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Washington Black by Esi Edugyan.  The story follows a young slave as he escapes with the help of his owner’s brother and struggles to come to terms with his new freedom.  The story itself seemed so unrealistic that I actually wondered if it was based on any particular true story! I liked it (maybe lost some interest at the end) - but loved the narrator!  He did a great job of bringing the characters to life.

I also listed to the free Audible Original Lullaby by Jonathan Maberry.  What can I say - it was a free ghost story that was only 37 minutes long. Fine for the Halloween month, but I think some people may not like what happens in the story.

Currently listening to The Witch Elm by Tana French and am thinking this may be better read than listened to. Just a lot of backstory to start.  The narrator is fine - I like him - but I’ve decided to listen at a 1.25 rate. Twenty-two hours are a bit much, particularly when 3 of the last 4 I’ve listened to have been 7 or less hours!