Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2018

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I finishes The Au Pair, it was good but very predictable....But a good, move along quickly read. I am now going to read a Danielle Steel novel. I haven't read a book by her in such a long time. It is called MATTERS OF THE HEART.....So far, good..... 

@CANDLEQUEEN

I have not read a book By Danielle Steel in at least 30 years. I remember they were always so sad, someone always died in the beginning of the book and that was just not my idea of a romance years ago. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SparklesMcGee wrote:

This month has been a little strange for me in my reading life. I would say that I am a total mood reader: whatever strikes my fancy is what I go with. This month, however, I have joined a few online book clubs and have "assignments" there, plus some ARCs I am committed to review. So even though it's a week into the new month, I have only finished 2 books!

Finished:
Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren (a very funny romance!)

A Reason to Stay by June Stevens (a super quick novella that wasn't that great)

Reading:
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe by Marisa de la Cruz

Dating You/Hating You by Christina Lauren

hi @SparklesMcGee - I can't comment on any of the books except The Shadow of the Wind. That was an utterly exceptional book that stands alone as one of the best books I've ever read. It's not a typical book I'd ever consider reading, but I promised a dear friend I'd try it, and I couldn't put it down. What did you think about it?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego, good to hear your review on Circe.  I have this in my pile.  LM

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SparklesMcGee wrote:

This month has been a little strange for me in my reading life. I would say that I am a total mood reader: whatever strikes my fancy is what I go with. This month, however, I have joined a few online book clubs and have "assignments" there, plus some ARCs I am committed to review. So even though it's a week into the new month, I have only finished 2 books!

Finished:
Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren (a very funny romance!)

Reading:

hi @SparklesMcGee - I can't comment on any of the books except The Shadow of the Wind. That was an utterly exceptional book that stands alone as one of the best books I've ever read. It's not a typical book I'd ever consider reading, but I promised a dear friend I'd try it, and I couldn't put it down. What did you think about it?

Well, sunny, after this glowing review I had to request it at my library. Seems it's a high priced item to purchase!

Honored Contributor

@icezeus. I know what you mean. That is what I remember too, but after all of the thrillers I have been reading, I needed something very different that I could get into right saway, as I remember her books being easy to get into..This one is pretty good so far-we'll see what happens.....lol!

Esteemed Contributor

I started reading Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir. She writes about the Tudor dynasty, and is very interesting. This one is about the daughter of Henry V111 and Anne Boleyn. I've read other books by Weir, and she doesn't disappoint. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Banker's Wife by Christina Alger. It was pretty good. I really enjoyed the ending, which I thought was better than the book itself.

Endings are very important to me!

I'm now reading The Wartime Sisters by Lynda Cohen Loigman. I'm enjoying it very much. It's like I fell into it after reading the first page.  I got it from netgalley and it will be released in January 2019.

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

I just finished The Banker's Wife by Christina Alger. It was pretty good. I really enjoyed the ending, which I thought was better than the book itself.

I'm now reading The Wartime Sisters by Lynda Cohen Loigman. I'm enjoying it very much. It's like I fell into it after reading the first page.  I got it from netgalley and it will be released in January 2019.

Glad you got your hands on The Wartime Sisters. I finished that book about a week ago and loved it just as much as her first one!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

Glad you got your hands on The Wartime Sisters. I finished that book about a week ago and loved it just as much as her first one!

@SWEET- I started reading it this morning and if I didn't have things to do today, I would be finished reading it by now. I am loving it so much it's almost painful to walk away from it.

I wonder if the author has problems with her sister, if she has one in real life. Two books so far about sibling rivalry between sisters. Very interesting.

Regular Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SparklesMcGee wrote:

Finished:

Reading:

@sunala

I am LOVING The Shadow of the Wind! I am reading it and taking notes because the discussion for this book isn't until October 30 and there are SO many quotes I want to share with my group.

Did you know it's part of a series? There are a total of 4 books in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. I am not sure if I'm going to tackle them all right now, but I am happy to know that there are more.