Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2018

[ Edited ]

@lork wrote:

Just finished William Kent Kruger's latest Cork O'Connor installment, "Desolation Mountain".  I'm a fan and am already looking forward to his next novel.  This one centers around a vision his son, Stephen, repeatedly has and the twisted clarity of it in their real life.  

He’s such a good author but I am not that enthralled with Cork for some reason.  I just finished DESOLATION MOUNTAIN, too.  His best book IMO is Ordinary Grace.  

Right now I am reading LETHAL WHITE.  Quite good so far.  

Next up is SADIE by Courtney Summers.

Valued Contributor

CROSS YOUR HEART, by Sara Pinborough, a great read, a dark twisted dysfunctional books, whose humans live up to dysfunctional, and morals are broken,and lives turned upside down. There is more a very interesting ending.

Esteemed Contributor

I am just about finished Patrice Greenwood's A Masquerade of Muertos, (Wisteria Tearoom Mysteries, Book 5),

This series is based in Santa Fe and the detail that she provides is amazing.  I highly recommend this series.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - I just received the new Alexander McCall Smith online newsletter, and there will be a new Scotland Street book next year!  He hasn't written it yet, so I guess it will be out in the latter part of the year.  They usually come out in the UK in early August, but who knows when in the US.  Be sure to sign up for his new Precious book, "THE COLORS OF ALL THE CATTLE," which is coming out in November.

Trusted Contributor

@TTerri wrote:

I'm reading a nonfiction book called Mrs. Sherlock Holmes: The True Story of New York's Greatest Female Detective and the 1917 Missing Girl Case That Captivated a Nation by Brad Ricca. So far, so good. 

sherlock.jpg

@TTerri - this sounds really interesting.  I'm going to get it from my library.  Thanks for posting about it.

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@smoky22 - I just received the new Alexander McCall Smith online newsletter, and there will be a new Scotland Street book next year!  He hasn't written it yet, so I guess it will be out in the latter part of the year.  They usually come out in the UK in early August, but who knows when in the US.  Be sure to sign up for his new Precious book, "THE COLORS OF ALL THE CATTLE," which is coming out in November.

@dawg lover  I am on advance waitlist for Colors Of All The Cattle.  I'm #4 in line.  Unfortunately, I think people keep books until they have to return them even if they finished them a week ago.  I'm sometimes guilty of that myself. It's easier to do with a kindle than with a real book.  You just forget to return it.  With a real book you have to look at it every day. I think that's one reason why kindle books are taking so long.

Thanks so much for the good news about Scotland Street.  That is one series I would really miss. 

Super Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@TTerri wrote:

I'm reading a nonfiction book called Mrs. Sherlock Holmes: The True Story of New York's Greatest Female Detective and the 1917 Missing Girl Case That Captivated a Nation by Brad Ricca. So far, so good. 

sherlock.jpg

@TTerri- this sounds really interesting.  I'm going to get it from my library.  Thanks for posting about it.

You're welcome. I like hearing about all the criminal cases she worked on.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Attention @LoriLori@smoky22, and all the other Flavia fans:  I was looking online through my library's Coming Attractions page (upcoming books on order) when I saw the new Flavia book, "THE GOLDEN TRESSES OF THE DEAD."  It will be out on January 22nd, but my library will let me reserve it now.  I am number one on the list!  It starts out at Ophelia's wedding, when Flavia finds something unusual in the cake...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Christmas At The Beach House Hotel by Judith Keim, my favorite by far in this series, I loved this book, especially the wedding that was written about so the reader could almost feel their presence being there, it brought tears to my eyes, for happy reasons, I am a sucker for love stories that go beyond the expectations of the reader, and this one did not disappoint.  Next up Against All Odds by Danielle Steel, a friend of mine just finished this a couple of weeks ago, and we tend to like the same books, and she enjoyed this one, so I am looking forward to reading it.  Happy reading everyone!

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

Attention @LoriLori@smoky2016, and all the other Flavia fans:  I was looking online through my library's Coming Attractions page (upcoming books on order) when I saw the new Flavia book, "THE GOLDEN TRESSES OF DEATH."  It will be out on January 22nd, but my library will let me reserve it now.  I am number one on the list!  It starts out at Ophelia's wedding, when Flavia finds something unusual in the cake...

@dawg lover, Amazon has it as "The Golden Tresses of the Dead."  And says she finds a finger in the wedding cake (poor Feely!).

No matter what the name is:  YAY!!!!  Thanks and congrats on being number one!