Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2017

Just finished ARE YOU SLEEPING by Kathleen Barber.  Two thumbs down.  Don't waste your time.  I went from page 68 to page 225 and had no trouble picking the story up as well as knowing who did it.  Completely uderwhelmed with this one.  LM

Trusted Contributor

"Isn't It Rich?" by Sherryl Woods.  Fiction.  Romance.  It is book one of the Perfect Destinies collection.  Book 2 is "Priceless" but my library doesn't have it.  I do not buy books because I have no place to store them.

Honored Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

Just got "To Be Where You Are" by Jan Karon. I love visiting Mitford. Must find a recipe for Orange Marmalade Cake!

It's in, Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook.

Trusted Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

"Isn't It Rich?" by Sherryl Woods.  Fiction.  Romance.  It is book one of the Perfect Destinies collection.  Book 2 is "Priceless" but my library doesn't have it.  I do not buy books because I have no place to store them.

@TaylorBrown wrote:

@TaylorBrown - ask your librarian if she can order "Priceless" for you through the Inter-library loan (ILL) program.  I use this a lot and it is interesting to see where the books come from - all over the US!  They loan the book to you for a few weeks and there is usually no fee.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Sometimes I Lie by Mary Feeney (which comes out in March, 2018).  I received an ARC from the publisher which I didn't ask for.  I'm not much of a pscychological thriller reader and now I know why.  I couldn't figure out who was who and if they switched identities or what.  I'm not the only one since there were a lot of confused people on Goodreads and a lot of questions asked also.

Going to read Love The Wine You're With by Kim Gruenenfelder. I need some light chick lit.

Trusted Contributor

@dawg lover I will.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Colinka Look at Amazon, if i remember right, Jan Karon put out a cookbook a few years back with recipes featured from her books.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished reading "It's always the husband" by Michele Campbell" I was just telling a friend last night that it reads like a Lifetime movie, but boy did the author vamp it up the last 3/4 of the book, and the ending was a total shocker, overall I would give this 4 stars, only because the author spent quite a bit of time bringing the reader up to present day, but the characters really needed this type of introduction to understand the complete history  And to add another note, I did not like one of the characters, I found them all to be self serving, disloyal, and heartless people!

Honored Contributor

ORDINARY GRACE by William Kent Krueger

I'd call it a coming of age novel set in 1961. The audio book kept me fully engaged.

Trusted Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

I just discovered the wonderful Margaret Maron and her Deborah Knott series set in modern times in Eastern North Carolina.  The books are in the mystery genre, but I love them for their authentic Southern flavor and the relationships of the characters.  If you give the books a try, by all means begin with the first one, "The Bootlegger's Daughter" which won numerous awards.  Each book has a slightly different background -- the first one I happened upon was "Slow Dollar" which involved a carnival.  The title came from the belief that it's better to make a fast dime than to wait for the slow dollar.

She also writes a Sigrid Harald series which is set in New York City.  I'll sample that one when I run out of books about Judge Knott and her eleven older brothers.

@Honeybit If I've already replied to this, ignore me! I love the Margaret Maron books and am thrilled you discovered her! I recently met her at the local Bookmarks event in Winston Salem which brings many local authors and others together. Sadly, she told me the last book, Take Out, would be her last book. I hated to hear that. Enjoy!