Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2017

I Just finsied "Still life with Bread Crumbs" by Anna Quindlen, I enjoyed it,  This is the run down from Amazon:  Still Life with Bread Crumbs begins with an imagined gunshot and ends with a new tin roof. Between the two is a wry and knowing portrait of Rebecca Winter, a photographer whose work made her an unlikely heroine for many women. Her career is now descendent, her bank balance shaky, and she has fled the city for the middle of nowhere. There she discovers, in a tree stand with a roofer named Jim Bates, that what she sees through a camera lens is not all there is to life.

Brilliantly written, powerfully observed, Still Life with Bread Crumbs is a deeply moving and often very funny story of unexpected love, and a stunningly crafted journey into the life of a woman, her heart, her mind, her days, as she discovers that life is a story with many levels, a story that is longer and more exciting than she ever imagined.

It was a relaxing read if that makes any sense.  I read so many psychological thrillers with page turning, dramatic events, that this was a nice diversion from those type of books.  This is a new author for me, and I enjoyed her writing style.  As the run down from Amazon explains she is a photographer that has stalled in her career, and is short on funds, divorced, and has little to no prospect to reviving the career she once had, she decides to sublet her apartment in New York City, and rents a dilapidated shack in the middle of nowhere, to reflect on her life and what has become of her.

Through experiences in this desolate place she discovers that even at 60 years old, it is never too late to reinvent yourself and dream of a life that you never thought of before, and it is never to late to fall in love again!

Respected Contributor

I just finished Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton.  She is one of my favorite authors and Kinsey is one of my favorite fictional characters.  I've read all her alphabet books and love her mystery writing.   

Honored Contributor

Where We Belong, by Lynn Austin,

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Getting ready to start "DEEP FREEZE" by John Sandford, the new Virgil Flowers book.  Sandford's books are always great.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne I am in the middle of reading LOVE AND OTHER CONSOLATION PRIZES.  Thank you for your recommendation.  I am enjoying it so far. It is quite eye opening to see how Asian Americans and mixed raced Americans faced so much prejudice back then in the early 1900s.

Trusted Contributor

I finally finished The Second Mrs. Hockaday:

When Major Gryffth Hockaday is called to the front lines of the Civil War, his new bride is left to care for her husband's 300-acre farm and infant son. A mere teenager herself, Placidia must endure the darkest days of the war on her own. By the time Major Hockaday returns two years later, she is bound for jail, accused of having borne a child in his absence and murdering it. What transpired in the two years he was away? Inspired by a true incident.

It was written mostly in the style of letters from Mrs. Hockaday to her Aunt.  And then from the Hockadays' children as they learn the secrets of their parents. 

Not sure how I feel about the book ...

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005  I loved The Second Mrs Hockaday.  I found the story compelling and I thought it was well written.. 

Respected Contributor

I read Autumn (Ali Smith), which is sort of a free form meditation on many subjects.  All the reviews say it's about the main character's friendship with a neighbor who is 69 years older than she is.  I thought that was just a contrivance.  He is such a peripheral character, it seems like he is there just to give the book a little structure. The book is a Man Booker Prize finalist. 

What's interesting about the book is that I actually enjoyed it while I was reading it, but now that it's done, it's very forgettable.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I read Autumn (Ali Smith), which is sort of a free form meditation on many subjects.  All the reviews say it's about the main character's friendship with a neighbor who is 69 years older than she is.  I thought that was just a contrivance.  He is such a peripheral character, it seems like he is there just to give the book a little structure. The book is a Man Booker Prize finalist. 

What's interesting about the book is that I actually enjoyed it while I was reading it, but now that it's done, it's very forgettable.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just got "To Be Where You Are" by Jan Karon. I love visiting Mitford. Must find a recipe for Orange Marmalade Cake!