Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2017

I just finished "The Luster of Lost things" by Sophie Chen Keller" what a remarkable book here is the details from Amazon:  Walter Lavender Jr. is a master of finding. A wearer of high-tops. A maker of croissants. A son keeping vigil, twelve years counting.

But he wouldn’t be able to tell you. Silenced by his motor speech disorder, Walter’s life gets lonely. Fortunately, he has The Lavenders—his mother’s enchanted dessert shop, where marzipan dragons breathe actual fire. He also has a knack for tracking down any missing thing—except for his lost father.

So when the Book at the root of the bakery’s magic vanishes, Walter, accompanied by his overweight golden retriever, journeys through New York City to find it—along the way encountering an unforgettable cast of lost souls.

Steeped in nostalgic wonder, The Luster of Lost Things explores the depths of our capacity for kindness and our ability to heal. A lyrical meditation on why we become lost and how we are found, from the bright, broken heart of a boy who knows where to look for everyone but himself. 

I think each reader will take something away that is unique to their situation and the life they have lived, it is about believing in magic never losing hope, and looking for the clues that life gives you along the way, and about not being afraid to open yourself up and letting other people into your life and basically about embracing life and loving it along the way.  Very inspiring story!

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

I don't read cozies anymore (well, tastes change!!) but these titles are reallly hilarious. I saw one the other day with a picture of someone in a coffin and the title was, 'Would it Kill You to Smile'. I stood in the library laughing. I also love the ones named after songs. Old songs, like It Had to be You and like that.

@Judaline - I love the funny cozy mystery titles too!  I saw one the other day that was titled "Dead, Bath, and Beyond."  I thought that was so clever.  Very interesting about the quote about Robert Crais.

@dawg lover@Judaline, I love them too!!!!

My mother doesn't read cozies but she's seriously gaga about Sinatra so I got her the Rat Pack mysteries series as a gift last year.  Titles include:

"Everybody Kills Somebody Someitme"

"Fly Me to the Morgue"

"When Somebody Kills You"

"It Was a Very Bad Year"

"Hey There (You With the Gun In Your Hand)"

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears it's already on my TBR list. My long long TBR list.  Good to know that you enjoyed it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu I was just telling my friend over the phone about it, and I burst into tears, now please know I am an old softie, but I absolutely loved it, the overall messages that I believe that the author was trying to bring to light opened my eyes so not so much the things I have done wrong, but things I have not done to be the best person I am because of fear inside of me, I need to spread my wing and learn to fly (not literally).  I was about to close the book last night because I have been so busy and thought I could be doing other things to better use my time, but that little voice told me to keep reading and I am so glad I did!

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears Tears are good it means we have been emotionally affected by the novel. I'll bet the author would love to know that. We all strive to be the best that we can be and sometimes are held back by our fears.I don't think that you are alone in that. The important thing is that we keep trying.

Books are so wonderful as they can make us laugh or cry or inform or inspire. They also connect us all together on this wonderful forum.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished listening to Origin by Dan Brown - the latest in Tom Hanks Robert Langdon’s story.

Former Langdon student and current world famous futurist is assassinated just as he’s about to make a world wide announcement that will shake the foundations of all world religions and answer the questions “where did we come from?” and “where are we going?” With the help of a beautiful museum curator, Langdon races around Spain to find the answer that will allow his student’s work to be broadcast.

I thought that it was better than the last Langdon novel and, if you liked the others, I think you will like this. It’s especially fun as I had been to Barcelona recently so I was able to “see” some of the locations mentioned. (Coincidentally, we also just got a text from someone who just visited the Guggenheim in Bilbao, which plays a big part in the book.) However, like his other books, it doesn’t necessarily play nice with religion, so this may not be to everyone’s taste. It was also fast moving... up until the big reveal. Remember that I’m listening to this, and found the presentation was not fun to listen to.

Spoiler
This isn’t really a spoiler - I’m no going to announce that the butler did it!  But, it may ruin it for some people.

I pretty much figured it out.  A few things needed clarification, but the end wasn’t necessarily a surprise.

I thought the narrator was great and really fit the book. Am happy I chose to listen versus wait to read. Looking forward to the eventual movie!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  OMgosh!!!! I love those titles. Absolutely hilarious.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished "The Luster of Lost things" by Sophie Chen Keller" what a remarkable book here is the details from Amazon:  Walter Lavender Jr. is a master of finding. A wearer of high-tops. A maker of croissants. A son keeping vigil, twelve years counting.

But he wouldn’t be able to tell you. Silenced by his motor speech disorder, Walter’s life gets lonely. Fortunately, he has The Lavenders—his mother’s enchanted dessert shop, where marzipan dragons breathe actual fire. He also has a knack for tracking down any missing thing—except for his lost father.

So when the Book at the root of the bakery’s magic vanishes, Walter, accompanied by his overweight golden retriever, journeys through New York City to find it—along the way encountering an unforgettable cast of lost souls.

Steeped in nostalgic wonder, The Luster of Lost Things explores the depths of our capacity for kindness and our ability to heal. A lyrical meditation on why we become lost and how we are found, from the bright, broken heart of a boy who knows where to look for everyone but himself. 

I think each reader will take something away that is unique to their situation and the life they have lived, it is about believing in magic never losing hope, and looking for the clues that life gives you along the way, and about not being afraid to open yourself up and letting other people into your life and basically about embracing life and loving it along the way.  Very inspiring story!

@CareBears This sounds really good, and very different. I will have to check this one out.!

Esteemed Contributor

Last night I finished Falling to Earth by Kate Southwood. To whoever recommended this book, THANK YOU!  I don't know if I would have found it if not for you.  I absolutely loved it. The ending was completely, totally different than what I expected. I was amazed at how profoundly the author was able to tell this story of a simple, loving family whose lives were turned completely upside down.

That's all I can say without giving anything away. Please read it!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN This book has really left me with a lasting impression, I think you would like it, if you decide to read it, keep an open mind while reading it, and never stop believing in the magic that the world has to offer, it totally changed my way of thinking and how I plan to do things differently in my life moving forward.  BTW, I see that the library ordered Risking It all, so as soon as it comes in I will be reading that, so excited to read it, thanks for the heads up!