Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2017

I just regretfully closed the last page of this marvelous book "To be Were you are" by Jan Karon My wish is that this book would go on and on, I literally fall in love with all of the Mitford books, this one brought on happy & sad tears, it felt like coming home and visiting with old friends!  I hope this is the not the last book in the series, I want to see what the future hold for the residents of Mitford North Carolina, a place where you wish you lived!

Respected Contributor

I just finished The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian.  A woman with a history of sleepwalking disappears.  Her husband and two daughters, along with the local police, are trying to find out what happened to her.  It's very suspenseful and the ending was a total shock. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori Strap on your boots, and hold yourself back, Fredrik Beckman has a new novella coming out on October 31, 2017 titled : The Deal of a Lifetime" Stock up on the kleenex it looks like this one will be a multi tissue read, I had to request our library to order it, but the question is:  Can I wait that long, or should I just plunge and buy it so I can get my hot little hands on it, that is the question?

Valued Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I just finished The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian.  A woman with a history of sleepwalking disappears.  Her husband and two daughters, along with the local police, are trying to find out what happened to her.  It's very suspenseful and the ending was a total shock. 

@Catty2 I read this a few months ago, too.  A really good story.  I was also surprised by the ending.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@BornToShop @CANDLEQUEENMy two psychological thriller friends, the book "Are you sleeping is right up your alley, I think you both would enjoy this book, I read it in less than 24 hours, I hated to go to bed last night!

@beckyb1012 You might enjoy this book also just a thought for you!

Thanks @CareBears just put a hold on it for when it comes back to the library.  My hold list is getting pretty small so I need some new books for the winter coming fast upon us.  But with Halloween coming it is time to start my annual reread of Thomas Kinkade's Cape Light Series.  With Kathleen Spencer continuing on without him it is up to book 15 I believe.  I love reading this as much as Mitford during all the holidays.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished RISKING IT ALL by Nina Darnton, it was very very good........Not a thriller, it was about a couple who desperately want a baby, well the wife does more than her husband, and they can't conceive, so the wife starts to research Surrgoacy and then before you know it, they are meeting possible surrogates, and it goes from there. It was a quick, fast paced, emotional story that I really enjoyed...........This was the 1st book I have read by this author(I won an advanced copy from Goodreads), but I will definitely look for other books by her.I am now reading The Best of Us, by Sarah Pekkanen, just started but I really like this author........ 

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN I had to request that our libary order this, if they do not, I will purchase a used one, this sounds really good, thank you!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN I had to request that our libary order this, if they do not, I will purchase a used one, this sounds really good, thank you!

@CareBears I think you will enjoy this one...I also put Are you Sleeping on my list, it sounds really really good. too.......

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just regretfully closed the last page of this marvelous book "To be Were you are" by Jan Karon My wish is that this book would go on and on, I literally fall in love with all of the Mitford books, this one brought on happy & sad tears, it felt like coming home and visiting with old friends!  I hope this is the not the last book in the series, I want to see what the future hold for the residents of Mitford North Carolina, a place where you wish you lived!

Since I was first on the hold list I wanted to get the book back quickly but I did read it twice during the five days I had it.  It felt just like being back at home but at the same time I felt so very old with this new book.  The series started in 1994 with Cynthia at my age "55" and now the Mitford citizens are either gone or slowly going onto their rewards.  I have never felt old reading the series until this edition.  I forget how much time goes by when I read the older books so much and they never age but now they have done so which means I have done so too.  So glad you loved it @CareBears

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 I am "OLD" so feeling this way is nothing new to me, but your right, this book really brought to light how the folks of this charming town have aged and some have been called home, but I like to read about the next generation coming and how they bring their own magic to this town, it just goes to prove, That life does go on", and if we are lucky we have cherished friends and family to share it with along the way!