Valued Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2017

I am a librarian, and I usually recommend books to patrons. But last week a patron came in, and said she had just read the best book ever. It was "A Gentleman from Moscow" by Amor Towles. It's been out for about a year,  but receiving a lot of good press and praise. I finally got a copy, and am just about to start it. Has anybody on this forum read it?

I love this forum, and pass on your recommendations to my patrons! Plus, I value your comments, and use them to select my own books.

Valued Contributor

I put A Gentleman In Moscow on hold at my library.  It was recommended to me by a friend.  I keyed in A Gentleman From Moscow, but didn't find that title.  I then keyed in the author's name, and found A Gentleman in Moscow.

Valued Contributor

@Charm wrote:

THE RESIDENCE: INSIDE THE PRIVATE WORLD OF THE WHITE HOUSE by Kate Andersen Brower.  

Very interesting book.

I just finished this book and agree that it is very interesting.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carol08 wrote:

I put A Gentleman In Moscow on hold at my library.  It was recommended to me by a friend.  I keyed in A Gentleman From Moscow, but didn't find that title.  I then keyed in the author's name, and found A Gentleman in Moscow.

@Carol08  and  @Colinka  I read it earlier this year.  Very enjoyable. 

Valued Contributor

Yes, thank you for the correction. I was going back to edit my post, when I saw your post

@Carol08 wrote:

. I apologize for the error in typing the title!

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your feedback, smoky2016!  I can't wait to get it.

Valued Contributor

I make mistakes in authors and titles frequently, Colinka, so please don't worry about it.  Thanks again for letting us know about this book!!

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Address, by Fiona Davis

@beckyb1012- I really want to read this. I'm fascinated by "Old New York."

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

I recommend A Gentleman in Moscow to everyone. I cannot shut up about it.Smiley LOL It is the best  book I've read this year.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to The Cuban Affair by Nelson DeMille. A few others have recently finished (or quit while they were ahead!), and their reviews were pretty fair.

I was recently in Havana (cruise ship port of call), so I did enjoy recognizing some of the locations discussed. And current true events recently taken place in Havana also provided an interesting backdrop.  But, otherwise, it took a while to get started.  And, I just didn’t believe the romance (frankly, she annoyed me with her constantly asking “do you love me?”)

The audio book included an interview with the author, but I ended up not listening to it all as my ride was completed. Seemed like a relatively long interview, maybe 14 minutes

Next audio book with continue Robert Langdon’s story.  Over 18 hours, so will take a while to finish.