Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? NOVEMBER 2019

[ Edited ]

I just read The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware.  It was a page turner with a surprise ending but, in reality, not a book of substance.  No character development to speak of.

Sometimes these books are good for a fast read or after a 'heavy' read so I enjoy them in that vein.  They are almost always a ' Rapid Read' at our library so the turnaround is quick.  LM

Next up Th1rt3en.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Snowflakes Over Holly Cove by Lucy Coleman.  While not the genre that I generally read, it was a very nice story with family secrets and a little romance.

Tia Armstrong is a lifestyle magazine journalist who has a breakdown after the death of her mother.  Her boss sends her to Holly Cove, a seaside village in England, for six weeks to work on a story about relationships and love.  Tia thinks that this is just what she needs and how how unusual it is for her boss to show such concern. There is an ulterior motive.

If you are looking for an easy read during the holidays, this is a good one.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom  I'm anxious to hear your review of Thirteen.  I have it on my kindle and read a few chapters, but the other books on my kindle are calling to me more.  Not sure I will get back to it unless you think it's really good.  

Trusted Contributor

@CANDALQUEEN, on my list too!! I actually have an elevator phobia but I'm making myself use them....getting too old for lots of stairs (okay, out of shape too, LOL)!😃😃
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, that should be @CANDLEQUEEN!! ☺
Trusted Contributor

I am a member of Book Browse and am able to read/review books before they come out.  I've participated several times.

I just finished reading The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James.  It will come out in February 2020.  I am a fan of mysteries so I enjoyed reading it. 

Without giving too much away, it's about Viv, an overnight clerk at an old hotel, who disappears one night in November 1982, never to be seen again.  In November 2017, after her mom passes away without knowing what happened to her sister, Carly moves to the same town to find closure for her aunt.  And ends up working as an overnight clerk at the Sun Down Motel.

Today I started reading Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To those who commented on The Haunting of Hill House (by Shirley Jackson): this is one of my top five favorite books. Over the years, I've probably read it about 50 times.

It's brilliantly done: Jackson's writing is exquisite.

I also love the 1963 movie (with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom) and have watched it endlessly. I remember seeing it in the movie theater and yelling out in fear at one point.

Ironically, Jackson also wrote several humorous books about her family. These would remind you of Jean Kerr and Erma Bombeck.

I treasure Shirley Jackson.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 , I am about 60 pages in on Th1rt3en. The style is different I find.  I'm on the fence right now.  I think it has potential.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 , wow, 50 times.  Putting that one on my list!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finishing The Christmas Dog. Really a cute book. A 2 day read. (would have been 1 but it was past my bedtime, lol). Thanks to the other reader who was reading it, too.