Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? NOVEMBER 2019

ONE GOOD DEED-I did read it and I liked it.  It was rather different for a Baldacci book.  I thought he captured the culture in the USA post WW II and in the late 1940s.  Something I appreciate about Baldacci is that he keeps the language clean.  I think the worst language in the entire book, was "Oh, hell." 

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian  Some books begin with vile language. It makes me wonder why? Thanks for pointing out something I've also noticed. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm rereading We've always lived in the castle by Shirley Jackson.  This is one of my favorite books. 

@sunala   November is my favorite month. I love the starkness and greys it brings. And wind blowing showers of gold and red leaves.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Super Contributor

My Lovely Wife finally became available from the library. I had been on wait list since July. I read the book in 3 days. A fast and interesting read! Very twisted. A good beginning book from a first time author. Next book to read will be The First Mistake by Sandie Jones. All my waitlist books are finally becoming available.

Valued Contributor

A BITTER  FEAST, by Debra Crombie, a great book ,an English mystery, I think this is number 18 in her series, with Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid. This book had a lot of interesting characters  in it. I liked it because it did not  concentrate on a main character. Gave it a 5 star rating 

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I'm rereading We've always lived in the castle by Shirley Jackson.  This is one of my favorite books. 

@sunala   November is my favorite month. I love the starkness and greys it brings. And wind blowing showers of gold and red leaves.

I found a copy of all of Shirley Jackson's work.  Not just novels Castle and Haunting of Hill House.  Great short stories.  Some very creepy, but it a suble way.  Try a few of them.  Worth the read.  Some are online free.  Below are a couple online.

The Witch

https://cpb-ca-c1.wpmucdn.com/myriverside.sd43.bc.ca/dist/5/342/files/2014/02/The-Witch-Shirley-Jack...

Charles

https://loa-shared.s3.amazonaws.com/static/pdf/Jackson_Charles.pdf

Paranoia

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/05/paranoia-shirley-jackson

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

ONE GOOD DEED-I did read it and I liked it.  It was rather different for a Baldacci book.  I thought he captured the culture in the USA post WW II and in the late 1940s.  Something I appreciate about Baldacci is that he keeps the language clean.  I think the worst language in the entire book, was "Oh, hell." 

Wow, you really threw me with this. Years ago, years! my cousin recommended Baldacci to me. I went and got the first book I saw (no recollection of the title) and on the VERY FIRST PAGE was the F word. I figured that's just the way he writes and it's going to be in the whole book so I stopped reading right then. He sure went on to fame and fortune so I guessed it didn't bother anybody but me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Couldn't finish Christina McDonald's The Night Olivia Fell.  I really wanted to read it.  Swapped with someone on a FB page dedicated to swapping books.  Some just want to give away them and I've received books that way too. 

I'm starting Right After The Weather by Carol Anshaw which I downloaded from Net Galley.  I needed something "happier."  

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson.  I liked what @sunala said above - I don't over analyze what I "read".  I think if I did in this case, there may be a few things about the book to dislike (the unbelievable story and obvious ending being some of them.)  But, it was a nice length and interesting characters. The narrator was the same as Beartown and Us Against You, so I was a little thrown at first.  But, the book takes place in Tennessee and, all of a sudden, her accent immediately reminded me of my niece (who was born up north, but spent most her life outside Knoxville.)  I could just see her with every "okay" uttered.  Enjoyed it.

I have two Audibles coming up on Tuesday.  Will listen to Lisa Jewell's latest next.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline 

Wow, sorry for that experience you had.  I have not had the same, as I wrote in my post.  Maybe Baldacci had an "epiphany" somewhere along the line in his writing career.