Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? NOVEMBER 2019

Thank you for starting us off for another month! I really enjoy reading what everyone is reading. Its often really good recommendations that I add to my reading list.

I just finished Terns of Endearment by Donna Andrews. It's # 25 in her Meg Langslow mystery series. To spice up the series, this one takes place on a cruise ship. I love going on cruises so really looked forward to this book only to not really enjoy it. The story line wasn't great and quite frankly the mystery wasn't that interesting since I didn't care at all about the person who was murdered. This series is usually a very light easy to read cozy mystery filled with quirky funny family etc. Maybe I missed the rest of the usual towns people who weren't on the cruise? It was just ok. Her earlier books have been better. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday  Anxious to read your review. I've been on the wait list (believe I began at #73) so it could be a while before it's my turn. Enjoy the book!! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw 

Yes, good book-there have been several very positive posts about this book.  Very timely, given world events in the last few months.  Silva does meticulous research.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Reading:  The Tattoist of Auschwitz.  Too soon to know what I do/do not like about it.

@Nonametoday- I enjoyed it (that's a terrible word to describe a book about the holocaust). I try very hard not to analyze books too closely. If I liked it, it's good. If I didn't, then I wasted some time but I'll just move on to one I hopefully will enjoy.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Thank you for starting us off for another month! I really enjoy reading what everyone is reading. Its often really good recommendations that I add to my reading list.

I just finished Terns of Endearment by Donna Andrews. It's # 25 in her Meg Langslow mystery series. To spice up the series, this one takes place on a cruise ship. I love going on cruises so really looked forward to this book only to not really enjoy it. The story line wasn't great and quite frankly the mystery wasn't that interesting since I didn't care at all about the person who was murdered. This series is usually a very light easy to read cozy mystery filled with quirky funny family etc. Maybe I missed the rest of the usual towns people who weren't on the cruise? It was just ok. Her earlier books have been better. 

@FindingMyJoy- of course I read the title wrong and thought you just read Terms of Endearment, which I loved so much! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book you read. Have you ever tried the real Terms of Endearment? It's long but it's luscious!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I read War of Wives.  It was a good read.  3.5 out of 5.  I thought the reveal at the end was interesting.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Have been trying to read these three books for several weeks. They are due back at the library on Monday so I've finally finished them. Does anyone else read more than one book at a time?

1. One Good Deed by David Baldacci

Love this author and kept picking up this book. Really wanted to like it, but finally gave up the effort on Page 276. After several weeks of trying, this thriller couldn't hold my interest. 

2. Inland by Tea Obreht (2 Stars)

Loved The Tiger's Wife by this author, but found this novel which was set in Arizona to be disjointed and lackluster. I got out a map and believe the location was near the NM/Arizona border near the four corners. The author was so bland in his location descriptives! Most enjoyable were the portions of the book about the camel rides.

3. A Better Man by Louise Penny (4 Stars)

Thriller and suspenseful. As usual, this author writes well and is descriptive in her characters and locations.

A daughter is missing in Quebec. Floodwaters are rising. Homicide would normally call off the search, but Lt. Gamache has a daughter, also. He continues the search in Quebec and Montreal. After the body is found and the rivers continue to rise, the social media negative comments against him are cruel; and in the turmoil, mistakes are made. Didn't want to put this novel down! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

Midnight without a Moon by Linda Williams Jackson.  (Midlegrade)

Forget me Not, by Elllie Terry.  (middlegrade)

Other Words for Home, by Jasmine Warga (middlegrade)

Willa of the Wood, by Robert Beatty (middlegrade)

I discovered middlegrade a few months ago and I've been reading a lot.

A Winter's Promise, by Christelle Dabos.  (sci-fi translatted from French)

A Winter People, by Jennifer McMahon ( I think it's kinda a ghost story)

The Prey of Gods, by Nicky Drayden (sci-fi)

Temper, by Nicky Drayden (sci-fi)

This is my November reading.  I'll be off for the Thanksgiving week and I'm staying home so I should have time to read them all before they are due at the library. 

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady  I agree with you on One Good Deed.  I kept wondering if it really was written by David Baldacci.  I guess he decided to try something different.  It didn't work for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished The Testaments (Margaret Atwood).  It's not going to be a classic, but it is entertaining and I enjoyed it.

I wonder if it takes a little bit away from the original.  Can The Handmaid's Tale be viewed the same now that there is this sequel?