Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ NOVEMBER 2018 ~

@sunala, interesting review on Elevation.  I have it. Glad you liked it.

i am reading Wayfaring Stranger by James Lee Burke.  It is a nice change of pace right now.  Half way through.  Not his best book but I am happy to be experiencing his atmospheric descriptions of Texas.  LM

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

Clock Dance by Anne Tyler 

Loved this book. I read it in a day.  (Football on TV, I read! One formula for a lasting marriage!)

Football is the only time I do not read.  Since girlhood I can watch all day even without a man anywhere in sight.  I think I was born singing "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?" 

Dream Daughter, by Diane Chamberlain. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Pieces of Her--by Karin Slaughter

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Reminder to Liane Moriarty fans (and I'm one, bigtime), her newest, "Nine Perfect Strangers," which takes place in a spa retreat, will be released on Tuesday.  I hope my mailman comes early...it's a great day to shut the tv and read.

@LoriLori  I'm not a die hard fan of Liane Moriarty (she's hit or miss for me) but this one does sound interesting and I have it on waitlist.  Unfortunately, there are 40 people ahead of me.  Will be interested in your review.

@smoky22with the single exception of her last, "Truly Madly Guilty," I love her.  She's my favorite, I think maybe my only, chick lit author writing now, although she does weave social issues throughout. 

Which ones were hits for you, which ones misses?  Have you read her first, 'Three Wishes?"  I love that one, it's one of my faves.  

(I always pick your brain LOL, answer or not, as you wish, of course.)

@LoriLori  I had to refresh my memory on her books.  The first book I read by her was The Hypnotist's Love Story, which I loved.  It went in an unexpected direction and I'm always a fan of that.  Then I backtracked and read The Last Anniversary and What Alice Forgot.  Both of them just ok for me.  I liked The Husband's Secret a lot, even though the secret was pretty obvious. I thought it was very well written.  I disliked the book everyone loved, Big Little Lies.  There was just something very shallow about it for me.  Because I didn't like that one, I never read Truly Madly Guilty.  I never read her first book, either, Three Wishes.  

Trusted Contributor

I just got a notice on my phone that a major online seller of books is having a free shipping sale with no minimum purchase, for a limited time.  (I'm sure you can figure out who I'm talking about.)  I ordered a single paperback book that is coming out in December for no shipping fee, which is great, as they usually have a $25 minimum.  Just be sure to click on Free Shipping 5-8 days when you check out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started reading Tuesday Night Miracles by Kris Radish. I thought I'd like it especially since it's been on my TBR list for several years. Well, I'm pulling the bookmark on it. Way too draggy with unlikeable characters. Plus, the book is 496 pages. Way too long, especially for a book with characters I don't care about. 

I've got several books on my Kindle that I'm looking forward to reading. No sense wasting time on nonsense.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sunalanot sure if you're on Goodreads?  Elizabeth Berg wrote a lovely blog post on Goodreads about the new book ("Night of Miracles") and how she wasn't ready to let go of the characters.  I enjoyed reading it, can provide a link if anyone wants it.

Thanks @LoriLori I'm on my way. I can't wait!!

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sunalanot sure if you're on Goodreads?  Elizabeth Berg wrote a lovely blog post on Goodreads about the new book ("Night of Miracles") and how she wasn't ready to let go of the characters.  I enjoyed reading it, can provide a link if anyone wants it.

@LoriLori- I just went to her goodreads page to look for her blog, but can't find it. Can you please post the link? Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@z-da! wrote:

Where the Crawdads Sing - so, so good.

Where the Crawdads Sing (Delia Owens).  I finished this a few days ago and I think the New York Times Book Review said it best, "A painfully beautiful first novel that is at once a murder mystery, a coming of age narrative and a celebration of nature."

I wanted to wait a few days before I reviewed it and I can't get it out of my mind.  Breathtaking.  A few reviewers thought it was too unrealistic.  Maybe. I'll go with the 86% who gave it 5 stars.  I was totally immersed in it.  Bring a box of tissues. 

Contributor

I finally gave up on THE POSTMISTRESS. After 160 pages I still couldn't get into it. The characters were unlikable and the whole book felt disjointed. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to like it.

I'm now going through some of my piles of books purchased at the annual library book sales. I've started THE OTHER QUEEN by Philippa Gregory. I read THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL about 10 years ago and remember enjoying it.

I'm also going to start THE TENTH CIRCLE by Jodi Picoult. She's one of what I call "collectible authors", meaning I collect and keep all her novels on my bookshelf!