Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ NOVEMBER, 2017

[ Edited ]

The marriage Lie, was so good, and the ending was unexpected, I so enjoyed this authors writing that I put in a request for her other 2 books, highly rated on Amazon, as well, if you read this book, expect a day of reading and getting nothing else done, I finished it in a 24 hour period, my husband came home last night, and found me in the same position I was in when he left, he just smiled and said "Good Book", I even skipped making dinner as I just could not put it down, I really thought I had the ending figured out, but boy was I wrong, the last sentence of the book packed a Wallop (is that even a word) IF NOT I just made it up as it is the perfect word, I just kept saying over and over, Wow!

Esteemed Contributor

@maisiebrook Thank you for the heads up on this book, I put in a request yesterday!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala, I remember reading The Year of Fog when you did.  If I recall correctly, only one of the readers in the group liked it.  I saw The Marriage Pact advertised somewhere, and as soon as I saw the author, I went no further in checking it out.

I am currently 3/4 of the way through Shogun by James Clavell, and it's been wonderful.  Looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me to take in the whole series!

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished a book I can highly recommend:  Morgan's Run by Tamara Jones.  This is a free Kindle download if you have Kindle Unlimited and $2.99 if you don't.  I hesitated to buy it because I have found these inexpensive Kindle books to usually be very poorly written and edited.  This one is different; it is well written and worth reading.

The main character in this thriller is a young woman named Morgan who has just found out that her good and only friend has died and has left her a house and an internet business located in rural Minnesota.  She enters a situation that involves mystery and romance.  Morgan is a child abuse suvivor and the flashbacks to her childhood are hard to read.  The plot is complex enough to be interesting, there is lots of action, and the characters are smart and interesting.  There is some bad language and one s*x scene.

This author lives in a small town very near me, but I do not know her.  I contacted her this afternoon via her website and asked if she would visit my book club and she said she would!  This book has the potential for lots of great discussion.

Esteemed Contributor

@sk888888 wrote:

@sunala, I remember reading The Year of Fog when you did.  If I recall correctly, only one of the readers in the group liked it.  I saw The Marriage Pact advertised somewhere, and as soon as I saw the author, I went no further in checking it out.

I am currently 3/4 of the way through Shogun by James Clavell, and it's been wonderful.  Looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me to take in the whole series!

@sk888888- wow I can't believe that you remember our reading group! That was about a million years ago, and I remember we all hated that stupid Fog book except for one person, who I remember very well Woman LOL

We did read some wonderful books from that group!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Reading the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles. On the second book Turning Angel. So far so good.

@proudlyfromNJ, hands-down, Greg Iles is one of my top 3 favorite authors.  Every single book he writes is outstanding.  His latest series, Natchez Burning is fabulous & who couldn’t love Penn Cage?!?

@BornToShop@proudlyfromNJ 

Same here!  Greg Iles is one of my favorite authors.  His writing is powerful, an adjective that I can't apply to many authors. What a talented writer.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished "Her last goodbye" by Melinda Leigh here is the run down from Amazon:

Young mother Chelsea Clark leaves the house for a girls’ night out…and vanishes. Her family knows she would never voluntarily leave her two small children. Her desperate husband—also the prime suspect—hires Morgan to find his wife and prove his innocence.

As a single mother, Morgan sympathizes with Chelsea’s family and is determined to find her. She teams up with private investigator Lance Kruger. But the deeper they dig, the deadlier their investigation gets. When Morgan is stalked by a violent predator, everything—and everyone—she holds dear is in grave danger.

Now, Morgan must track down a deranged criminal to protect her own family…but she won’t need to leave home to find him. She’s his next target.

It reads as your typical abduction story, there was an event that some readers might not see coming, I did as there was too much book left to have it wrapped up, I liked it, it was fast read and it kept me interested enough

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started a book last night called The Woman in Cabin 10. The author is Ruth Ware and the genera is Mystery.

This book was recommended by a good GF. I will return to comment on the book once I have finished.

This is my first time participating in this thread. I am looking for book ideas, since I am trying to reserve books through my local library.

UPDATE

I finished this book a few hours ago and I would give it 8 out of 10 stars. While the book held my attention and I was anxious to get to to the end to figure out the mystery. The lead character caused me plenty of frustration,  she was deeply flawed and quite frankly all of her issues were a huge distraction.

Respected Contributor

Icezeus, I enjoyed The Woman in Cabin 10, although the author's previous book (In a Dark, Dark Wood) was much better. She has another one out I haven't read yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I started a book last night called The Woman in Cabin 10. The author is Ruth Ware and the genera is Mystery.

This book was recommended by a good GF. I will return to comment on the book once I have finished.

This is my first time participating in this thread. I am looking for book ideas, since I am trying to reserve books through my local library.

@icezeus, you've come to the right place.  Lots of great recommendations. If you come often enough, you will find you will follow certain posters who like the same books as you.  One big happy reading family here.  Welcome! LM