Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ NOVEMBER, 2017

I seem to be reading more nonfiction lately.  Finished Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, A Revolution (Nathaniel Philbrick).  Guess what?  War has always been brutal and inhumane.

Currently reading Maude (Donna Mabry).  It's a biography written by her grandaughter.  Born in 1892...what a woman Maude was.

In the past I enjoyed the Mark Halperin/John Heilemann books recounting the 2008 and 2012 elections, and I was looking forward to their book about the 2016 election.  But as Halperin is on the list of people lately accused of harrassment, I don't know if the book will even be published.  So I will have to content myself with Donna Brazile's book, Hacks: The Inside Story of the Break-Ins and Breakdowns That Put Donald Trump in the White House.  Audible download (as most of my "reading" is, unless otherwise stated), read by the author.  Pre-ordered in advance of Tuesday's release.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Reading the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles. On the second book Turning Angel. So far so good.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Reading the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles. On the second book Turning Angel. So far so good.

@proudlyfromNJ, hands-down, Greg Iles is one of my top 3 favorite authors.  Every single book he writes is outstanding.  His latest series, Natchez Burning is fabulous & who couldn’t love Penn Cage?!?

Honored Contributor

Before We Were Yours, by Lisa Wingate;

My heart hurt through the whole book.  Those poor children.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

Our Church Book Club just finished The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah.   It was a wonderful book, and I understand will be a movie soon.  It was the story of 2 French sisters living during WW ll. One was active in the French Resistance and saved the lives of many Allied pilots.  The other sister was married, had a child and lived in the French countryside while her husband fought.  Several German officers lived in her home while they occupied France and she struggled with keeping her family/friends alive.  I blinked more than a few tears and never saw the twists coming in this terrific book.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

I'm now reading The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond. Very suspenseful! I am looking forward to the ending, as I haven't a clue what will happen!

Well, I finished the book and I'm less than pleased with the ending. I was enjoying the book (although it was a stretch of reality, I admit) until the ending. I really don't enjoy books that leave you hanging. I like my endings tied up in a pretty bow. Sadly, there was no ending tied up in a bow at all. That's all I'll say as to not give away what happened at the end. 

I should have known, since I remembered I swore off this author years ago. I read one of her books, The Year of Fog. I gave it one star because I couldn't give it zero. What a dumb book that one was! 

If anyone has read this, I'd love to hear from you. Otherwise, I can't say I'd recommend this book to anyone because of the ending. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Keep her safe" by Sophie Hannah"  here is what Amazon wrote about it:  

he's the most famous murder victim in America. What if she's not dead?

Pushed to the breaking point, Cara Burrows flees her home and family and escapes to a five-star spa resort she can't afford. Late at night, exhausted and desperate, she lets herself into her hotel room and is shocked to find it already occupied — by a man and a teenage girl.

A simple mistake at the front desk... but soon Cara realizes that the girl she saw alive and well in the hotel room is someone she can't possibly have seen: the most famous murder victim in the country, Melody Chapa, whose parents are serving natural life sentences for her murder.

Cara doesn't know what to trust — everything she's read and heard about the case, or the evidence of her own eyes. Did she really see Melody? And is she prepared to ask herself that question and answer it honestly if it means risking her own life?

Amazon only rated this at 3 out of 5 stars, I disagree with this.  It was a compelling story But, it does leave the ending with unanswered questions and I know that leaves some readers with a  sour taste in their mouth, this story could have several  endings, which is somewhat frustrating to some readers, I make up my own endings and choose to have a happy ending, so all ends well for the characters who rightfully deserve a happy ending!

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 I reserved this, but I certainly do ot want my heart to hurt reading this book, Now I am rethinking of reading this?

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@beckyb1012 I reserved this, but I certainly do ot want my heart to hurt reading this book, Now I am rethinking of reading this?

I feel the same way. Why would anyone want to read this? 'tis a puzzlement.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

I feel the same way. Why would anyone want to read this? 'tis a puzzlement.

I was not aware myself going into the book about the entire circumstances, I just knew it was very popular and hard to get a copy.  I thought it was more of children from a family going to another part of the family due to illness or death.  Aunts and Uncles raising their nieces and nephews and the death of a beloved parent.

I was a bit shocked when I got into the book and saw the true story of the book.  Mitford is was certainly not @Judaline @CareBears.  I must admit I have not stopped thinking of the book 24 hours after finishing.   I do not think I could recommend this book unless you know the pain you will feel while reading.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."