Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ NOVEMBER, 2017

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I am still plugging away at the Outlander series.  I just finished Echo in the Bone and am on to the last one (so far).  These books are sooooooo long, but I find I don't want to quit (even though sometimes I steal a look at the end).  I have also found that I can't get interested in any other books.  I recently got the new Nelson DeMille book from the library, and much as I love his books, just could not get into this one. 

@chihuahuamom- I'm a great Nelson DeMille fan as well, and have loved almost all his books. However, this last book, The Cuban Affair, was not my cuppa tea. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it gets better after the point that I pulled the bookmark, but I just didn't have the patience to read any more of it.

I don't think I've heard one person say that they enjoyed it.

I just finished Let Me Go, by Harlan Coben. I enjoyed it a lot. I then tried to read Exit West by Mohsin Hamid, which I couldn't get into either. So, I am now attempting to read The Breakdown by B.A. Paris. So far so good, although I'm barely into it yet.

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

George and Lizzie, by Nancy Pearl;

@beckyb1012

For some reason I could not get into this book.  I quit reading at about page 70.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

George and Lizzie, by Nancy Pearl;

@beckyb1012

For some reason I could not get into this book.  I quit reading at about page 70.  

I felt sorry for her in so many ways but in so many others thought she needed to just "get over it and be a big girl."   I enjoyed it but it was not a favorite by any means. @DiAnne

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori Thank you, lori, that was very succinct, wasn't it?

I really liked the book. He has a certain style as in Ove. The unlikely always happens. Anyway, thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CLEM wrote:

@LoriLori  I come to this forum so very seldom that I had forgotten about this monthly thread otherwise I would have checked it out and contributed to it instead of starting my own thread.  I only wanted to share with you all what a great book that is.

P.S.:  I am talking about "The Life We Bury"

@CLEM, so come more often!!!  If you edit your top post to include the word "SPOILERS" maybe people will want to talk about it.  It's that kind of book that would generate a discussion!  

Honored Contributor

For those who liked/loved "The Life We Bury" I have a few book recs.  I'm throwing them out there because they're older books so maybe somebody didn't read them and would like them:

""Paris Trout" by Pete Dexter and also by him "The Paperboy"

"Montana 1948" by Larry Watson, a book that didn't get a lot of attention but oh do I love it

Honored Contributor

Just finished Grist Mill Road, it was ok. It actaully had a good storyline, but in my opinion it dragged too much.....

I have now just started Odd Child Out, by Gilly MacMillan.

Here is a short description: Two boys(best friends), one white, and the other Somalian and a tragedy happens and what looks like a prank gone wrong ignites into a public battle.....

It sounds very intense, but got rave reviews, so am looking forward to diving right in! 

Respected Contributor

I just want to take a moment to thank everyone on this forum for your book recommendations.  Every time I go to the library, I get overwhelmed and don't know which book I should pick up.  So, I go on this forum, look up your recommendations, and pick up the ones that you recommend.  Thank you all!!

Trusted Contributor

Dead Over Heels, An Aurora Teagarden Mystery 

Just starting to read  The Good Widow by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke 

Honored Contributor

I'm "booked" for a while because my shelves are bulging.  One of my Goodreads friends brought this to my attention and it looks really good so I'm passing it on here:

"Dear Fahrenheit 451:  Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks:  A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books In Her Life" 

by Annie Spence

This is her first book and by word-of-mouth it's become a bestseller.  In an unrelated note, I did not know you can use two colons in a title or a sentence LOL.