Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? MAY 2020

I finished The Operator - it actually held my interest.  Something that seems hard to do lately!

I am now reading:

The Seven or Eight Deaths of Stella Fortuna: A stunning novel about one extraordinary family's deep-buried secrets by [Juliet Grames]

About 50 pages in so I have no opinion yet!  Again, downloaded on hoopla.  Getting the hang of the app.

Valued Contributor

I just read Joel Rosenberg's newest book Jerusalem Assassin. It was a good thriller but I got confused with all the Arab names!
Respected Contributor

Didn't finish The Fourteenth of September by Rita Dragonette.  Wasn't my type of book.  I wanted to read it since I don't recall reading anything about the Vietnam War.  I liked the concept of the 60s.  I'm always in the minority in reviews too it seems.

Onto Kimberly McCreight's A Good Marriage.  I enjoyed her other books. 

Respected Contributor

Sweetbabyjane, I love Elizabeth  Strout, but I did not like Olive Kitteredge.   

There are mamy books loved by others that I, for whatever reason, have not taken to. But it doesn't mean I don't love other works by the same author.

Here's a great example: I adore Hilary Mantel--but not her historic fiction. I didn't even care for her autobiography. But her fiction is phenomenal!

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Sweetbabyjane, I love Elizabeth  Strout, but I did not like Olive Kitteredge.   

There are mamy books loved by others that I, for whatever reason, have not taken to. But it doesn't mean I don't love other works by the same author.

Here's a great example: I adore Hilary Mantel--but not her historic fiction. I didn't even care for her autobiography. But her fiction is phenomenal!

@insomniac2 

I liked some of Elizabeth Strout's other books too but not O.K. or Olive, Again.  There are a lot of authors that I've loved some books of theirs and not others.

Respected Contributor

BREAKING THE SILENCE. Diane Chamberlain

THE BETTER SISTER. Alafair Burke

BEFORE I LET YOU GO. Kelly Rimmer

THE BEAUTIFUL POSSIBLE.  Amy Gottlieb

THE TIGER IN THE HOUSE. Jacqueline Sheehan

Honored Contributor

The Target, by Catherine Coulter;

Born A Crime, by Trevor Noah. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I got the new Kate White thriller "HAVE YOU SEEN ME?" from the library as an e-book.  It was really good; very suspenseful!  It was nice to have something new to read.  I've just been re-reading books that I have at home lately.  Can't wait until the library opens back up again, although there is no sign of that so far.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished What Happens In Paradise by Elin Hiderbrand, this was not one of my favorites, but I just was not in the mood to read this type of story, it was OK!

Valued Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I finished The Operator - it actually held my interest.  Something that seems hard to do lately!

I am now reading:

The Seven or Eight Deaths of Stella Fortuna: A stunning novel about one extraordinary family's deep-buried secrets by [Juliet Grames]

About 50 pages in so I have no opinion yet!  Again, downloaded on hoopla.  Getting the hang of the app.

@roeroe1005  I read this book last year.  I enjoyed it.