Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? MAY 2020

Today I finished Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano.  Thank you to those who recommended this book on this forum.  I doubt that I would have read this book if it hadn't been wirtten about here.  I liked this book very much and recommend it highly.  

The plot of this novel involves a boy who, as a twelve year old, is the sole survivor of an airliner crash.  I liked the way the author had some chapters set in the past about the airline flight and some in the current time involving the boy and his life from age 12 to age 18.  I also really liked the girl-next-door character who was so key to the story.  Parts were very sad, but mostly it was uplighting and inspirational.  Just what I needed now.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished the Hunger Games prequel The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins. This tells the story of the 10th annual Hunger Games from the perspective of 18 year old Coriolanus Snow (the President in the original trilogy.) I think going back to something familiar helped me keep focus.  It's told in three parts, with the first being the best (IMO) and the last being the least interesting.  There was one aspect of the book that never rang true to me, which featured heavily in the last section. But, it was a good introduction into the formation of what Snow became.

I did like the references and throwbacks to the original books.  For example, some of Snow's school friends had family names that were very familiar and made me do some googling LOL.  The song Katniss sings is also in the new book - now I can't get the tune out of my head!

I just spent the day watching all of the Hunger Games movies on Freeform.  I'll be up until 1am finishing it!

Honored Contributor

Well, until I'm "allowed" to pick up my holds, I had to hit my bookcase. I found an old Ruth Rendell Inspector Wexford book and remembered how much I liked this series. She's already got me from the first/second page. Harm Done. I can't even give you the gist of it since it starts with a girl missing for 3 days and comes home one rainy day. Since she is slow minded they can't get anything out of her about where she's been. She is 16. Wexford doesn't like her lame explanation but I'm buying it. She's home, leave it alone. But not Wexford. He's on the trail. I don't know if this is the main theme or just an intro to bigger things. I think it is.

Esteemed Contributor

@sandy53  Currently on Page 265 (I think) of 'Dear Edward' and I love it! Began reading it yesterday and couldn't put it down.

One of those touching novels that may become a best book of 2020.

The author provides wonderful character development and insight into Edward's innermost feelings and those close to him as their lives change.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I just finished " The Sweeney Sisters," by Liam Dolan.  It is a fun summer read about sisters coping with the sudden death of their famous , author father, and the secrets that are revealed. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Judaline  I was curious where Harm Done fell in the series.  It's #18 so one of the later ones.  I never got that far.  I don't know why I stopped reading the series.  I enjoyed Inspector Wexford.  Too many other books to read I guess.  I should get back to them.  Hope you enjoy this one. Let us know.    

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady,

I look forward to your review of The 7-1/2 Deaths.  I've had it on/off hold at our library for a while.

I just finished reading The Other Windsor Girl.

The Other Windsor Girl: A Novel of Princess Margaret, Royal Rebel by [Georgie Blalock]

It's a fictional story of Vera Strathmore, a low-level royalty member who becomes the lady-in-waiting for Princess Margaret during her partying days, up until the Princess marries.  Vera writes romance novels on the side and dreams of moving to NY.  I thought it was good; and an easy read.

Respected Contributor

Today I finished The Sisters of Summit Avenue by Lynn Cullen.  The captivating depression-era tale of two sisters locked in a lifelong rivalry.  This book was very good.

P.S.  I read 8 books this month.  So happy my library is open for book requests and curb-side pickup.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This thread is now closed, since it's now JUNE!

Please see the new June thread and enjoy.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@roeroe1005  Well, we drove from Lincoln, NE to Myrtle Beach, SC to help a family member who lost his wife in early May. So reading in the car was not the best place + my family kept talking to me or each other . . . and, of course, I'd find them more interesting than 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and easier to concentrate upon. Smiley Very Happy

Additionally, following my retina surgery in January my Opthomologist had to cancel my follow-up appointments in March and April to check that eye and prescribe new lenses. Reading in the car was iffy at best with 1 1/2 year old lenses. 

By the time we hit St. Louis, I gave up trying to read. It was too thick of a book to tackle in the car without correct glasses. We returned late Friday night and I had an email from my Opthomologist for an eye exam on Tuesday afternoon, which I immediately confirmed. 

However, I returned 53 books to the Library on Saturday morning including 7 1/2 Deaths. I don't know if I'll check it out again or not. (Although not open yet, our Libraries have been providing books to patrons who place items on "HOLD". I've been doing that during the Virus-19, but they didn't take any books back until Saturday AM. I was there early with my bags of books to return. They were in the parking lot under a tent (fresh air) and keeping a safe distance. Wouldn't take the bags so I had to dump all the books into their rolling bins, which they planned to let "sit inside and air out for three days before checking in and returning to circulation.") 

7 1/2 Deaths didn't WOW me like previous books. Was it because of the traveling? Or was it the book? IDK. Sorry this isn't a better answer for you.

Money screams; wealth whispers.