Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? MAY 2020

I finished reading Things in Jars  by Jess Kidd, which was suggested on a monthly thread.  Still having an issue concentrating on reading ( Unhappy with myself for not taking better advantage of this time.)  Was interesting, but probably requiresd a bit more attention.  Was happy to be reading on Kindle as I googled quite a few definitions!!

Am returning to Panem next with my Kindle (kind of wish I watched the movies beforehand as a refresher, but I think I'll remember enough.)  I may be starting up Audibles shortly too.  I have a short novel that I think I'll start listening tomorrow when I do my mail pickup.

Respected Contributor

Today I finished Heartstopper by Joy Fielding.  It's a murder mystery.  There are many odd characters in this book who could be the killer.  As the book goes on you think you've figured it out but it's not who you thought it was at all.  Good book with lots of twists and turns.  

Respected Contributor

THE RAMBLERS by Aidan Donnelley Rowley is my latest read.  Lots of positives, a few negatives, IMO.  The writing is good.  The story is well told.  However, the main characters are pretty much highly educated, financially successful, entitled 30-somethings and at times I just could not relate!  Each of the three main characters is "finding" himself/herself at this time of life.  The setting is NYC and there is some good description of the city sites.  Also, one of the main characters is an ornithologist, and since i like watching birds, I did like the information about that career. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finshed Death by Chocolate by G.A. Mckevert, this is a murder mystery full of colorful characters, with a life lesson at the end of this book that is very relevant to life, I enjoyed this story!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

DNF The Long Path Home by Ellen Lindseth.  As much as I enjoy WW II books, this book didn't cut it for me.  It was boring and I even gave it 141 pages.

Onto Meg & Joby Virginia Kantra which is a modern take on Little Women. 

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner.  At about halfway through the book I contemplated giving up reading it because nothing much had happend.  But then someone was murdered.  The second half of the book was much better (but not great) as the mystery was being solved.

The main character is a plus size woman who is working at being an "influencer."  A lot of this book is flashing back to high school and how badly she and others were treated. 

I don't recommend this book.  I thought it would be better.   

Trusted Contributor

just finished Danielle Steels latest,THE WEDDING DRESS. Seems like all her books are getting to be too much alike.  Next book is Michale Connellys latest FAIR WARNING 

Frequent Contributor

I've been reading a lot lately, through Audible and Kindle, and needed some recommendations. Glad I stumbled across this forum section.

@Catty2 I've been on the fence about ordering this book. From your review, I'm going to download a sample and see what I think. Thank you. I read Taylor Jenkins Reid, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.  (2017) About an old-time Hollywood Actress. It read like it could have been a true story. Enjoyed it very much. That was awhile ago.

1. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (2017)
- Historical Fiction regarding Georgia Tann's atrocities with the Tennessee Children's Home Society. Not so much about Tann, but more about a mystery regarding siblings. It's a back and forth between 2017 and roughly early 1940s.

2. Mercy House by Alena Dillon (2020) Nuns who run a home that takes in all kinds of women in need. I really liked this book. There were even a few parts that made me laugh out loud. I will be looking for more by this author. No spoilers, however, a warning: Some abusive sexual content that may be disturbing to some. Also strong language. Audible. I believe three different narrators. All excelllent in my opinion.
3. The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. (2017) Touching, good read. It held my interest.

Next three by Paula Brackston (all three on audible, good narrator):
4. The Little Shop of Found Things by Paula Brackston (2018) 1st of a Trilogy. Goes back and forth between 2019 and 1600. Listed as historical romance and time travel which I usually do not read nor watch anything like this, however highly enjoyed this read.
5. Secrets of the Chocolate House by Paula Brackston (2019) Same mother/daughter characters as #4 book. Same premise different time period. Not as good, however, I was invested in the characters. (Third installment not due to be released until later this year.)
6. The Silver Witch by Paula Brackston (2015) Again not my usual genre, but I highly enjoyed her detailed writing. This book has nothing to do with numbers 4 & 5 on the list.

7. Someday in Paris by Olivia Lara. (May 2020) Almost finished. Very good read. I'm hoping that I am not disappointed in the ending. Look forward to more by this author.

Sorry for any typos/grammar. Thank you again for recommendations. Safe reading.

Honored Contributor

@NewNickname1x1000 wrote:

I've been reading a lot lately, through Audible and Kindle, and needed some recommendations. Glad I stumbled across this forum section.

@Catty2 I've been on the fence about ordering this book. From your review, I'm going to download a sample and see what I think. Thank you. I read Taylor Jenkins Reid, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.  (2017) About an old-time Hollywood Actress. It read like it could have been a true story. Enjoyed it very much. That was awhile ago.

1. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (2017)
- Historical Fiction regarding Georgia Tann's atrocities with the Tennessee Children's Home Society. Not so much about Tann, but more about a mystery regarding siblings. It's a back and forth between 2017 and roughly early 1940s.

2. Mercy House by Alena Dillon (2020) Nuns who run a home that takes in all kinds of women in need. I really liked this book. There were even a few parts that made me laugh out loud. I will be looking for more by this author. No spoilers, however, a warning: Some abusive sexual content that may be disturbing to some. Also strong language. Audible. I believe three different narrators. All excelllent in my opinion.
3. The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. (2017) Touching, good read. It held my interest.

Next three by Paula Brackston (all three on audible, good narrator):
4. The Little Shop of Found Things by Paula Brackston (2018) 1st of a Trilogy. Goes back and forth between 2019 and 1600. Listed as historical romance and time travel which I usually do not read nor watch anything like this, however highly enjoyed this read.
5. Secrets of the Chocolate House by Paula Brackston (2019) Same mother/daughter characters as #4 book. Same premise different time period. Not as good, however, I was invested in the characters. (Third installment not due to be released until later this year.)
6. The Silver Witch by Paula Brackston (2015) Again not my usual genre, but I highly enjoyed her detailed writing. This book has nothing to do with numbers 4 & 5 on the list.

7. Someday in Paris by Olivia Lara. (May 2020) Almost finished. Very good read. I'm hoping that I am not disappointed in the ending. Look forward to more by this author.

Sorry for any typos/grammar. Thank you again for recommendations. Safe reading.

Thanks for your reviews. Excellent posting! I wish everyone would do as well. (including me)

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Vivica Sten's In The Name of Truth and Susan Kiernan-Lewi's  Dying to be French,    Both series are very good.  Vivica's books are translated and this was book 8 out of 13 or 14; waiting for the next book in the series to be translated.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!