Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? MAY 2020

@teganslaw  Read any of Greg Iles book in any order. He writes so well you won't have any trouble with the story line. He's also a favorite author of mine. Enjoy!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian (5 Stars)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone had loaned me "The Help" when it first came out and I didn't get too far in it, but now I've seen most of the movie, so if I can figure out who I borrowed it from before, I'm going to take another whack at it.

Should have added, I STILL haven't seen the movie from the beginning, but what I've seen has really reached my heart, and that's why I want to read the book (AND see the whole movie from the Beginning). SUCH a wonderful cast. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Alone by Lisa Gardner very good with lots of action!

Honored Contributor

Still reading "The Great Believers."  I knew this would happen.  Despite all the awards Rebecca Makkai won for this book, the acclaim, the "Best of"s, I find her writing really boring.  Great story told in such a dull way but I'm committed to finishing even if I'm 90 when I do, sigh.  Every character talks to same acts the same there's no life in her books but obviously I'm the exception.  Got some great stuff lined up if I ever finish it.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had books I didn't like that were given great reviews. One can't always go by what's on the best seller list. 

@LoriLori , why do you feel committed to finishing the book if you find it boring? There must be better books out there that you could read instead. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I've had books I didn't like that were given great reviews. One can't always go by what's on the best seller list. 

@LoriLori , why do you feel committed to finishing the book if you find it boring? There must be better books out there that you could read instead. 

You're right, Teganslaw.

I'm not DNF'ing because l'm invested in parts of the story.  Not all but parts and they don't include the main storyline which I saw coming a mile away....that's the reason, story is strong enough to keep me from DNF'ing this one.

Respected Contributor

Just finished Kimberly McCreight's A Good Marriage.  I give it 3.5 stars.  I still like Reconstructing Amelia better by her.

Onto The Silence by Susan Allott. Another mystery.  I really need to read something light for a change but I read my books in order of date (just for 2020 books).

Honored Contributor

I just finished Catch Me by Lisa Gardner, it was really good! I am now starting Find Her by Lisa Gardner. I am sure it will be excellent!   

Honored Contributor

Plot against America by Phillip Roth.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man