Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? MAY 2020

@CANDLEQUEEN You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished In the Cradle Lies by Oliivia Newport, this was very good,  A long time mystery that inpacted many people and even more that might never be solved, just remember The Truth Will Set You Free!

Trusted Contributor

I read Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel by Ruth Hogan. This was a split time line book told by the child Tilly and her grown up counterpart Tilda. I loved this book. The grown Tilda goes back to her mother's home after her death, and discovers what happened to the father who went away when she was young and also why her mother sent her away from the place where she was happiest. I especially enjoyed the parts of the book told through the eyes of the child Tilly as they rang true and some parts also made me laugh.

I also read Aria's Travelling Book Shop by Rebecca Raisen. It was a story about a nomadic bookseller coming to terms with the death of her husband and taking tentative steps toward a new love.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

I started reading Black Cross by Greg Iles. It takes place during WW11, and is very good. Fast paced and interesting characterization. 

This is the first book I read by this author and it won't be the last. Do his Penn Cage novels need to be read in  order or doesn't it matter which one I would start with?

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Alison Ragsdale's The Art of Remembering.  Very good book about ballet and brain tumors. 

Up next is Rita Dragonette's The Fourteenth of September.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  If possible read them in order

Regular Contributor

I am working really hard at reading books that are on my TBR shelf. 

I just finished: Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke; Miracle Creek by Angie Kim; The Queen of Hearts by Kimmery Martin

All of them were fine reads, but I am still searching for a stand-out!

Now I am reading:

A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn

Respected Contributor

Last night I finished The Huntress by Kate Quinn.  I remember others listed this book and said it was excellent.  I agree.  The theme is what you would expect; it's a WW II story.  The technique flips back and forth between two time periods.  This is something that I don't usually like, but it worked well in this book. Highly recommend.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished The House Next Door by Jams Patterson, this book actually has 3 stories, and IMO all really  good.  The chapters were shorter, so for me it  was a fast read, I really enjoyed all 3 stories!

Trusted Contributor

I'm reading an older (2014) book by Jennifer Weiner called "All Fall Down". I'm really enjoying it! One of my stash of books that I'm so happy to have with the libraries being closed!