Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ MAY 2018 ~

Finished B.A. Paris 3rd book Bring Her Back.  Out of her 3 books, this one was her best.

Onto Beatriz Williams Cocoa Beach.  Always look forward to reading her books.

Honored Contributor

Has anyone read "The Day She Disappeared" by Christobel Kent?

It's on my shelf and I can't remember why I bought it LOL.  I want to put it in the queue but not sure where to since I know nothing about this book.  I'm wondering if I read about it here and just ordered it without thinking about it.

Please, if you've read it or the author let me know.  Thanks.

And am I patient zero with book amnesia?  Or has this happened to anyone else?

Honored Contributor

FYI  there is a giveaway on Goodreads for (be still my heart) Fredrik Backman's "Us Against You."  Since I have never won a single thing on Goodreads, hoping someone here who loves him and loved "Beartown" gets one.

Regular Contributor

Well, I finally finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I was saving it and kept reading all kinds of other things until I just couldn't stand it any more and then devoured it in less that 24 hours... It was a gripping and emotional read - loved it.

I also finished The House on Harbor Hill (the April selection in the Once Upon a Bookclub subscription box) by Shelly Stratton. The book was fine, but predictable - didn't love it.

Now I am reading Seeing Red by Sandra Brown and Knights on the Texas Plains by Linda Broday.  I am finishing up my book club's 2018 Reading Challenge and these 2 books fill the "Book a stranger was reading in public" and "Western Romance" categories. :-)

Respected Contributor

I finished The Escape Artist and thought it was dumb, implausible plot and uninteresting characters.  I admit I skipped all the flashbacks to her horrible teen years.

And what is with all the comparisons to something else.  None of them remotely true.  One review said the character in this book is the new Lisbeth Salander (not). And somewhere I read that RuthWare is the new Agatha Christie (not).  And every new thriller is the new Gone Girl (ugh).  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

FYI  there is a giveaway on Goodreads for (be still my heart) Fredrik Backman's "Us Against You."  Since I have never won a single thing on Goodreads, hoping someone here who loves him and loved "Beartown" gets one.

@LoriLori, I saw that and decided not to enter.  I've never read his books (I know, I'm in the minority) LOL.  I didn't enter because the odds of getting that book (there are only 50 copies which is pretty good and 3,623 entries) are not great but good luck to those who enter.  

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished The Escape Artist and thought it was dumb, implausible plot and uninteresting characters.  I admit I skipped all the flashbacks to her horrible teen years.

And what is with all the comparisons to something else.  None of them remotely true.  One review said the character in this book is the new Lisbeth Salander (not). And somewhere I read that RuthWare is the new Agatha Christie (not).  And every new thriller is the new Gone Girl (ugh). 

No comparison IMO.And ugh to the last part. Does every new book have to be compared to that one? Thankfully, it's a good warning not to buy it.

Honored Contributor

@SparklesMcGee wrote:

Well, I finally finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I was saving it and kept reading all kinds of other things until I just couldn't stand it any more and then devoured it in less that 24 hours... It was a gripping and emotional read - loved it.

I also finished The House on Harbor Hill (the April selection in the Once Upon a Bookclub subscription box) by Shelly Stratton. The book was fine, but predictable - didn't love it.

Now I am reading Seeing Red by Sandra Brown and Knights on the Texas Plains by Linda Broday.  I am finishing up my book club's 2018 Reading Challenge and these 2 books fill the "Book a stranger was reading in public" and "Western Romance" categories. :-)

I really liked your reviews. Excellent. The last part reminded me of something. My son who never flies, had to fly because of a business thing. Kevin Bacon sat next to him!!! I said, did you talk? He said, no, he read Harry Potter the whole way. This was a few years ago. Just a little trivia.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

The English Wife, by Lauren Willig.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

Thanks for your review of "THE ESCAPE ARTIST".  I was debating whether to get it from the library or not, and now I won't bother.  This leaves me free to read more Louise Penny books!  I can't stand the comparisons to Agatha Christie either.  There is only one Christie!