Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ MAY 2018 ~

[ Edited ]

I am starting a new book called False Positive, by Andrew Grant. This is a new author for me. The description makes me think that it will be my kind of book. My favorite types of books are murder/thrillers.  I will report back when finished.

Well, I was going to read the book listed above. However, I picked up two of my books from the library today that were on hold and they do not have any renewals available on them. Therefore, I need to move these to the front of the line. I will be instead starting  Meghan A Hollywood Princes by Andrew Morton.

Honored Contributor

@9531 wrote:

Thank you for your welcoming greeting.

I am reading THE LAST MRS. PARRISH and just finished reading MY GRANDMOTHER ASKED ME TO TELL YOU SHE'S SORRY.

Welcome, @9531.  What a great first post!

As @CareBears, I LOVE Fredrik Backman.  He is my secret husband (I'm up to two now).  So many of us loved "A Man Called Ove" and it seems like for many enthusiasm has waned with each book but they're all a different flavor and so none post-Ove is everyone's flavor.

What did you think of "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry?"

Have you read the novellas?

Have you read "Beartown?"  Do you know the sequel, "Us Against You" is being published June 5th?  I have pre-ordered it since it's at a good price now.

Okay, enough:  But know that around here whenever anyone mentions Backman or one of his books I won't be far behind LOL.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@9531 wrote:

Thank you for your welcoming greeting.

I am reading THE LAST MRS. PARRISH and just finished reading MY GRANDMOTHER ASKED ME TO TELL YOU SHE'S SORRY.

Welcome, @9531.  What a great first post!

As @CareBears, I LOVE Fredrik Backman.  He is my secret husband (I'm up to two now).  So many of us loved "A Man Called Ove" and it seems like for many enthusiasm has waned with each book but they're all a different flavor and so none post-Ove is everyone's flavor.

What did you think of "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry?"

Have you read the novellas?

Have you read "Beartown?"  Do you know the sequel, "Us Against You" is being published June 5th?  I have pre-ordered it since it's at a good price now.

Okay, enough:  But know that around here whenever anyone mentions Backman or one of his books I won't be far behind LOL.

@9531  This is true. And just a little tip-don't ever even think of claiming Backman for your own because lori doesn't take kindly to thoughts like that. It's fine that you like him and everything, but just,well, you know, keep your distance. Outside of that, welcome.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I am starting a new book called False Positive, by Andrew Grant. This is a new author for me. The description makes me think that it will be my kind of book. My favorite types of books are murder/thrillers.  I will report back when finished.

Hmmm........this sounds good-if Robert Crais liked it (per Amazon review) how can I stay away? Thnx

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

A few days ago I started to read The Visitors by Catherine Burns. The book seemed weird and creepy and I had a bad feeling about it, so I pulled the bookmark. I crossed it off my list and moved on.

Except, I couldn't get the main character out of my head. Today I couldn't stand it and went back to reading it. Thankfully, although I stopped reading, I didn't remove the book from my Kindle, so it was still there. I'm glad because now I'm enjoying it. I have a feeling the ending will be as creepy and weird as I thought it would be, but I'm still reading.

Has anyone read this yet? There's a pretty long waiting list for it at my library.

I just read the review on this-then I heard an excerpt (my first time for someone to read me a book!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The woman narrator was a Brit and was very good. I may give this a go. I love the descriptions.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori I have read everything that that Fredrik had written, I loved My Grandmother told  me to tell you she is sorry, I actually bought it.  I am on the Waitlist for his new book, I am #5 so as soon as the library gets it in, I should have shortly they always order a ton of his books, counting down the dasys until I can start reading it.

Do tell who is your #2 secret husband, LOL!  My first love is my husband, but I have been in love with Donny Osmond since I was 9 years old, my husband does not even get jealous of him, once in a while as I am talking about how handsome he is, my husband will sneer, I love to see him get jealous even after all these years we celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary in June but we dated for almost 5 years before we got married I met him when I was 15 and have been together ever since, OK enough about me I am boring, LOL!

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@LoriLori I have read everything that that Fredrik had written, I loved My  me to tell you she is sorry, I actually bought it.  I am on the Waitlist for his new book, I am #5 so as soon as the library gets it in, I should have shortly they always order a ton of his books, counting down the dasys until I can start reading it.

Do tell who is your #2 secret husband, LOL!  My first love is my husband, but I have been in love with Donny Osmond since I was 9 years old, my husband does not even get jealous of him, once in a while as I am talking about how handsome he is, my husband will sneer, I love to see him get jealous even after all these years we celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary in June but we dated for almost 5 years before we got married I met him when I was 15 and have been together ever since, OK enough about me I am boring, LOL!

@CareBears You are not boring at all. I love hearing sweet stories of long marriages. Our anniversary is in June too-the 23rd-it will be 45 years. Wow! I forgot it's been that long! lol  As to your question to @LoriLori I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'll leave her to tell you as she may want to talk about the subject in detail. lol

Sorry everyone for going OT. I don't mind, in fact I enjoy the little asides, but I know sometimes others don't.

I still have every intention of reading all the Backman books. It just seems like there is never enough time to read all the things that we intend to read. If only someone could figure out a way that we could read in our sleep.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@abbalulu  Happy Early Anniversary to you and your husband, I hope June 23rd, shines on the two of you, and cast its magical spell so that you both share the happiness and love you shared the day you joined together.  Fredrik is a magician with words, you MUST take the time to read his books, they are spell binding, and leave you bettter, I bought the Graandmother one to give to my Grandson one day, when he is older, I cried through out the whole book, but it was a good cry, it was a cry that showed me how mucch I love my grandson, Fredrik put all of my feelingsinto words that were hard to explain even to myself!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus I think you will enjoy Andrew Grant, I have read I think one of his books and enjoyed it, Happy reading!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished The Girl I Ised to Be by Mary TorJussen, it was a good read.  Not to give too much away, something happens to Gemma the last day of High School where one of her class mates holds a party at his parents home (they are out of town) the party is in honor of all graduating students so they can have one last time together as classmates, no one outside the class is allowed.  Something happens to Gemma that night, that changes her life forever.

Move forward several years where Gemma is now married and has a young son, and owns her own business selling properties.  An event happens to gemma when she attends a conference and drinks too much that springs her past into her life now.  Strange things begin to happen to Gemma that turns her into someone she barely recognizes, she is lying to her husband which she has never done before.  This is where the story heats up. 

Plenty of action in this story.  It does go between the past and the future, but in no way is it confusing, you definitely know who is speaking.

Onto A Breath After Drowning by Alice Blanchard, a fairly new release, will post my final review.