Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ MAY 2018 ~

[ Edited ]

Just read my first post apocalyptic survival book—Graham’s Resolution. Its by A R Shaw.   I read only two books of the series. It was fair. Not a theme I like much. Not fond of series either. But I’m glad I tried it. 

Akso finished Spinning Jenny by McLain which I thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend. Good story from pre-Civil War, good writing.  2.99 Kindle right now!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@dawg lover wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Has anyone read "The Day She Disappeared" by Christobel Kent?

It's on my shelf and I can't remember why I bought it LOL.  I want to put it in the queue but not sure where to since I know nothing about this book.  I'm wondering if I read about it here and just ordered it without thinking about it.

Please, if you've read it or the author let me know.  Thanks.

And am I patient zero with book amnesia?  Or has this happened to anyone else?

Appealing again to ANYONE who has read this book.  It's a mystery -- the book AND why I ordered it LOL.  It arrived and I have no idea where I heard of it, I mean usually when it's books I'm not familiar with, they're from here.  It's driving me a little batty LOL how this book flew onto my shelf.

@LoriLori - As a mystery lover, I will try to help you solve this mystery!  I see that the book came out on March 6th, so you may have spotted it on some upcoming or newly-published list.  Also, in the March edition of this thread, post #234 on 3/19, CANDLEQUEEN referenced this author, but it was for a different book.  Maybe you looked up this author and were intrigued by the new book coming out?  Either way, 81% of readers gave it 3 stars or above on Amazon, so it sounds pretty good!

@dawg lover, you are so sweet to help @LoriLori.  I just went to Goodreads to check it out as I am notorious for not remembering titles.  Not familiar with this one but Goodreads rates it 3.10.  Hope you find the answer to your puzzle @LoriLori!  LM

Hi,

Yes I did reference this author. I tried to read another book by Christobel Kent, but could not get into it. It was called The Loving Husband. I will try again at a later date to try to get into it. It sounds really good though..... 

Frequent Contributor

The book is very good, it's true that its hard to put down. I don't have Hulu, so have not seen the show. Find it a little scary that something like this could really happen. 

Respected Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

@sunala...Thank you for the warm warm welcome.

reading... HANDMAIDS TALE.

I love the show, thought I would read the book.  So far, its hard to put down.

What are you reading @sunala? Have a terrific day !

@Skididdy  I just finished the Handmaid's Tale. I also started with the show, and then I read the book.  It is one of those rare occasions that I find that the show is actually better than the book.  Since the book is purely from Offred's point of view, the show was able to offer other people's point of view. It makes the story more interesting.  But I am not going to watch season 2 of the show, because I like how the book ended. 

Trusted Contributor

@momoftwo2007...always welcome.

I understand why you would not watch season 2 but you HAVE too.  It is very out there, a bit twisted, we are literally screaming at the TV.  If you can...just try to watch season 2...How can you just stop cold turkey...lol...

Have a blessed day.

Honored Contributor

I just finished The Good Daughter, by Karin Slaughter, and now going to start THE SECRETS SHE KEEPS by Michael Robotham!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Glass Houses--Louise Penny

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I am thoroughly enjoying The Visitors. Marion is like a Scottish Eleanor Oliphant. Only, more reclusive, and totally weird. But she has her memories of a happy family life (even tho they were the family she didn't have) and her daydreaming as to what she would love to happen. It may be strange to say I'm enjoying it, so maybe that's not the right word. I'm mesmerized. What's going to happen? What's the point? I guess I'll find out but I've a ways to go. I think it's going to have a bad ending. I think it's going to get really creepy. I already have my suspicions of her parents' car accident. This is well written. I'll post when I finish if you would like. 

@Judaline, if you think of it, could you remind me of "The Visitors" after I post that I read "Eleanor Oliphant" (which I pre-ordered).  Because I probably won't read Eleanor until July, maybe even August, and I want to read "The Visitors" now too.  Great if you can, no worries if you don't Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

I am thoroughly enjoying The Visitors. Marion is like a Scottish Eleanor Oliphant. Only, more reclusive, and totally weird. But she has her memories of a happy family life (even tho they were the family she didn't have) and her daydreaming as to what she would love to happen. It may be strange to say I'm enjoying it, so maybe that's not the right word. I'm mesmerized. What's going to happen? What's the point? I guess I'll find out but I've a ways to go. I think it's going to have a bad ending. I think it's going to get really creepy. I already have my suspicions of her parents' car accident. This is well written. I'll post when I finish if you would like. 

@Judaline, if you think of it, could you remind me of "The Visitors" after I post that I read "Eleanor Oliphant" (which I pre-ordered).  Because I probably won't read Eleanor until July, maybe even August, and I want to read "The Visitors" now too.  Great if you can, no worries if you don't Smiley Happy

Oui, avec plaisir, lori. Could you just remind me to remind you after you've read Eleanor? What prompted me to read The Visitors was listening to an excerpt here:

http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Visitors/Catherine-Burns/9781501164019

Not a whole lot of happy to this book. 'Forewarned is forearmed!'

Honored Contributor

The Broken Girls, by Simone St. James

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."