Frequent Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ MAY 2018 ~

My grandmother Asked me to Tell You She's Sorry was a great read.. It had humor, mystery and a wonderful ending!

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori - thank you for my online "flowers!"  Let us know if that book is good.  It has a very intriguing title.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone on this thread!

Honored Contributor

Hello Everyone !     Woman Very Happy

I have been reading mystery series for several months now. 

Finished John Sandford's 3 series .... about 40 books .....   Kidd, Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers, and was concerned what would be next?   Great author; could be difficult to find comparable.

Now reading P J Tracy's Monkeewrench series, which is really better than I expected, but only 8 in this series.

So .....  what's next, she asks .....  I read a couple books a week when I am in reading mode.

Received recommendations on the Andy Carpenter and Elvis Cole books .....   has anyone here read either of these series?  If so, what are your thoughts?    

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Hello Everyone !     Woman Very Happy

I have been reading mystery series for several months now. 

Finished John Sandford's 3 series .... about 40 books .....   Kidd, Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers, and was concerned what would be next?   Great author; could be difficult to find comparable.

Now reading P J Tracy's Monkeewrench series, which is really better than I expected, but only 8 in this series.

So .....  what's next, she asks .....  I read a couple books a week when I am in reading mode.

Received recommendations on the Andy Carpenter and Elvis Cole books .....   has anyone here read either of these series?  If so, what are your thoughts?    

Seems like many of us here have read the Elvis Cole books. They got better as they got older. In other words, the latest are the best with the exception of The Wanted. For me it didn't have much going for it. That's brand new. I think The First Rule was a good one to start with-to find out if you will like the series. I didn't read them in order and I did fine!

Honored Contributor

I am thoroughly enjoying The Visitors. Marion is like a Scottish Eleanor Oliphant. Only, more reclusive, and totally weird. But she has her memories of a happy family life (even tho they were the family she didn't have) and her daydreaming as to what she would love to happen. It may be strange to say I'm enjoying it, so maybe that's not the right word. I'm mesmerized. What's going to happen? What's the point? I guess I'll find out but I've a ways to go. I think it's going to have a bad ending. I think it's going to get really creepy. I already have my suspicions of her parents' car accident. This is well written. I'll post when I finish if you would like. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Place of Execution By Val McDermaid.  I think this is the first book I have read by this author.  I thought it was very good.  A mystery spanning several decades.  Goodreads gives it 4.10.  I agree.  Good plot, good character development.  LM

Regular Contributor

Avid Reader Confession:  I have never read a cookbook or food memoir. That doesn't mean that I have never used a cookbook, but I have never taken the time to read the recipe intros or stories that the author adds to the book. I finally bit the bullet and really enjoyed it!  I read Cravings by Chrissy Teigan from cover to cover and actually made one of the recipes right away!

I finished Seeing Red by Sandra Brown. The cover blurb sells it as, "Her most ambitious novel to date."  I call BS - it was ok, but not great and not the least bit ambitious. I found too many of the characters unlikable and I figured out whodunnit very early on. (*This fulfilled my "Stranger Reading in Public category)

I also randomly picked up The Happy Hollisters and the Cowboy Mystery by Jerry West when reading with my 6 year old. Though published in 1961 or something, that sweet reading girl LOVED reading a mystery that she could try to solve, with words she could read along with me. It was a fun reading experience.

Now, I am fully immersed in Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan and will probably finish Knight on the Texas Plains by Linda Broday tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

i finished Red Alert by James Patterson & Marshall Karp. I loved it. Besides the first book in the series this has been my second favorite of the five books that have been written so far.

I am now onto False Positive by Andrew Grant.

Honored Contributor

My Dear Hamilton, A novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton by Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - the Elvis Cole and Andy Carpenter books are both great, and have lots of snarky humor, which I enjoy.  They are somewhat similar in tone, except that Elvis is a detective and Andy is a lawyer.  Personally, I would start with the first book in the series and read on from there, but I am neurotic that way.  The books do get better as they go along, in my opinion.