Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? MARCH, 2020

[ Edited ]

The Regrets by Amy Bonnaffons.  Story about a love affair between a living person and a ......ghost.  Despite the subject, I ended up loving story.  A Terrific book.  Highly recommended.  Not kidding.  A review from NPR

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/08/803788058/love-has-a-ghost-of-a-chance-in-the-regrets

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Bad Memoried by Lisa Gray, another book I enjoyed very much, action packed!

Respected Contributor

Last night I finished American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.  I am aware this is touchy  because the book has a lot of controversy attached to it.  So, I will try to be straightforward here.  It is  well-written, it is very dramatic and the drama kept me returning to it, hoping for good outcomes for the main characters. Highly recommend.

Honored Contributor

I started a proper Audible account (before the last hurricane, which didn't end up coming here, I did a free trial and canceled after just days, it's very hard for me to listen but -- )

I have to.  

So I selected

John Cleese (Monty Python)'s autobiography

James Taylor's Audible-only autobiography with songs

Trevor Noah (Daily Show)'s Born a Crime

laugh and sing, I tell ya!

also a bunch of free short stories, mostly ghost stories, for the Fire and some others and three graphic novels Smiley Happy

And I'm reading two other books.  Have to keep the mind busy without basketball!  I only watch one tv show anymore and um, let's just say I'm in a lot???

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori, I am also "in a lot". I'm the sole caregiver for my 84 year old mother who is pretty frail and doesn't leave the house except for doctor's appts. I have a lot of books checked out from my library and a lot of my own books that I've never read, but for some reason the thought of my library possibly closing, even temporarily, kind of panics me, LOL!!! I'm not a TV watcher either so I keep myself surrounded by reading material. 📖
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Crooked River (Preston/Child) the latest Agent Pendergast.  I enjoyed it, except for one incident they didn't need to include. This one was better than the last one, and I'm even warming to Agent Coldmoon. 

I also read Shadow Woman (Thomas Perry), the third in the Jane Whitefield series.  I wasn't a huge fan of this installment.  A lot of it was personal and yet it didn't quite resonate with me.  She is part Seneca Indian and that is usually the part of the story that I like.  I thought it was lacking in this one.   

Honored Contributor

@hooked on books 

If it gets to that point where you are out of reading material ... consider downloading the free Kindle app to your phone, tablet, or computer.

You can download via usb or wifi.

--------------------------

@hooked on books wrote:
@LoriLori, I am also "in a lot". I'm the sole caregiver for my 84 year old mother who is pretty frail and doesn't leave the house except for doctor's appts. I have a lot of books checked out from my library and a lot of my own books that I've never read, but for some reason the thought of my library possibly closing, even temporarily, kind of panics me, LOL!!! I'm not a TV watcher either so I keep myself surrounded by reading material. 📖

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Reese Witherspoon's latest pick The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward.  Given all the news of the last week, I couldn't imagine a better book for me to be "reading".  It's a family drama and I'm sure there are probably better books about dysfunctional families.  A mother wins a contest for a free Mediterranean cruise and wants all of her distant children to go with her. Everyone is keeping something from everyone else, but I couldn't help but root for the family to come together and succeed in obtaining what they want.

But, having been on my fair share of cruise ships, I could just envision everything they experienced on board and on their excursions.  I've been lucky to have traveled to several of their same ports, so it took be back to my own trips. When Cord first walked on the ship and somehow found his way to the art sales lady?  Had me laughing out loud.  Much of it was very realistic and I loved every ridiculous minute on board!  

For my next audible, I thought I was going to listen to a buzzy me-too novel, but I received a notification that another author I follow had a new book out.  So, I'm taking an impromptu trip to Australia instead.  I love being able to travel the world, even if it is only via reading!

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA, the funny thing is that I have loads of my own books to read! Don't even know why I keep going to the library!! LOL!! Thanks for your suggestion! Stay well!!!
Regular Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

Maude by Donna Mabry. A true-story, written by the author and her grandmother, about the grandmother's life in the early 1900's. Very good, but also sad. 

Thanks for mentioning this book! Very interesting....