Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JUNE 2020

@hick wrote:

Am 100 pages in to The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd.   It's very, very excellent.

I love all her books.  She is such a good writer.

This is one of the best books I've read in ages.

I can't believe Sue Monk Kidd wrote this. From "bees" to Jesus. What an imagination. I did love The Secret Life of Bees but this is too far fetched for me.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

Now that my library has re-opened for curbside Holds, I have some  

One of our friends here on the Book Forum recommended the mysteries of Scandinavian author Viveca Sten.  I am reading the first book in one of her series, called STILL WATERS, and I like it very much.  I have been to Stockholm, so I am enjoying picturing the scenery.

You've been to Sweden. Wonderful. I was wondering if these are stand alone novels? Do I have to start with book 1?

Respected Contributor

I just finished The Grace Year by Kim Ligett.  It is a very interesting Hunger Game plus Handmaid's Tale type of book.  I enjoyed it.

Respected Contributor

I believe that Sue Monk Kidd's "bees" book was superb.

All the rest. . .meh.

Respected Contributor

@sunala Hi Sunny. Great to see you. And thank you. His passing was fast and unexpected which has left me shell shocked. You just never know where your life will go from day by day. I have been reading a lot. It takes me away from reality and fills my time. Thank heaven for books. I have always loved to read but really hadn't been for a long, long time. So I guess I am catching up. Love your monthly threads for tips on new books and poster opinions of what they read. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I finished The Huntress by Kate Quinn. This book had been on my to-read-wishlist for a while and finally got it from my local library as an e-book. I found myself really enjoying the story when it was about the female flyers in Russia and the Europe war stories. However I didn't enjoy the part based in Boston with the teenage girl and her family. When all of the main characters came to USA to track the Huntress, it just seemed to drag and I found myself starting to skim the chapters since the book is quite long. Overall I enjoyed the book but didn't love it. Sort of surprised to say that since it has tons of glowing reviews. I didn't know previously about the female pilots fighting for Russia in World War II so that was very interesting and if the book would have been just about that part, I think I would have enjoyed it more. I enjoyed the author's other book The Alice Network much more. 

@FindingMyJoy  this is such a spot on review.  I agree with everything you said.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Lady Justice and the Bounty Hunter by Robert Thornhill.  A quick and fun read, even though I believe that the premise and some of the characters were based on the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I finished 142 Ostriches by April Davila. It was a fast read, and did a good job of holding my interest. I loved the ostriches.📚

Honored Contributor

Finished Find Her by lisa Gardner, another good mystery by her!Loved it.....

Now reading: The Home for Unwanted Girls, by Joanna Goodman. I started this book yesterday about 12n, and only have about 65 pages left to read. It is fantastic~! Such a fast, good read. Can't wait to read more by this author! 

Esteemed Contributor

The Women With Silver Wings  The Inspiring True Story of The Women Airforce Service Pilots of World War II by Katherine Sharp Landdeck 
(5 Stars) 

A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano (4 Stars)

Money screams; wealth whispers.